Kieler Woche, 2011


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Schleswig-Holstein » Kiel
January 10th 2012
Published: January 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

When I was first offered the teaching position in Kiel I naturally did a bit of research before accepting or declining it. The first thing I read about the city after Googling it was about Kieler Woche, or Kiel Week. Each year, the city plays host to a week long sailing festival at the end of June. Sailing fanatics from all over the world descend upon this small city for races, concerts and the international market at the Rathausplatz. To be honest, the boat races are a bit out of the city. The center of the city is where the concerts, food and drunk people from all over the world congregate. For food, music, dancing and cheap drinks from every corner. Needless to say this is the most exciting week of the year in Kiel.

It is wonderful to see a city with a rather quiet nature to blossom with music and art. It was so nice to see the place brimming with culture. I don't want my readers to think Kiel a dull, boring city. There is plenty to see here and plenty of fun to be had. But if you want to compare it to the larger, louder cities of Germany then you might be disappointed. It's a good city with a lot to offer. You just have to look a little closer to find it. During Kiel Week, just look at the extensive program! ;-)

There is a kind of spirit about the place during this week. A spirit that I was used to when living in Ireland. I find the German people to be not quite as open as other European cultures. I find they are more like Americans, actually. But Kieler Woche absolutely brought a more open, friendly and chatty side to my fellow Kielers (and it's not only because of the alcohol!).

I did spend the week working, but during breaks and on the weekend I would walk through the markets, either alone or with colleagues, and marvel at the sheer number of people that had come into the city. There was music everywhere, something I dearly missed! The international market was a perfect place to sit and chat with someone you only just met, or with the vendors from all over the world. That is, if it's not raining. And it's nearly always raining during that last week of June. Always!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb