I got carded!!!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Trier
December 3rd 2005
Published: December 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

A great and hilarious day. Got up early and worked some more on my reading, went grocery shopping and so forth. Nothing really interesting. Then around 12 Matt, Graham, Melissa and I went to the Christmas Market. It was really nice but sooooooo packed. At some points you could hardly move cause there were so many people. I hate crowds like that. It was still fun though. We walked around and looked at all the booths and the different food that you could buy. We stopped at a booth that had something that looked like little mini pancakes. They were Poffertjes from the Netherlands. There were two griddles with little round circles in em that the guy poured dough into. He then used a little pronged fork to flip them. They cooked really quickly. Of course we had to try them. (I have a picture of the guy making them that I'll put up tomorrow) They were delicious. One order we had with butter and powdered sugar and the other with Nutella (hazelnut, chocolate cream). They were really doughy and reminded me of biscuits. I'll definetely have to go back and have some more before the market closes at the end of the month. After that we walked around some more and then decided to go buy some Gluehwein (hot wine drink only found around christmas time). The counter at the booth was obviously made for Germans. I had to stand on my tippy toes to reach it. Then when I ordered my drink, the lady serving me paused gave me a weird look and asked me how old I was. I wasn't expecting the question (cause hardly anyone in Germany cares, especially at a Christmas market) and paused a mini-second before telling her I was 20. She gave me a dubious look. She wouldn't pour my drink. So I asked her if she wanted to see my ID. She said yes! Except for getting into some parties I've never been asked for my ID in Germany when ordering a drink. And all I was ordering here was a .2 l wine drink that a 16 year old could buy! She didn't even think I was 16! How sad is that? Of course Melissa and Matt (who were right behind) me got a kick out of that. The rest of the day Graham, Melissa and Matt were cracking jokes about it. (Don't blame them... it was actually really funny =])

Later Dennis and Manuel joined us in town. We then walked around for a while trying to find a Cafe and finally found one that had seats for us (barely). Everything was sooo packed. It was really nice to just sit around and chill. After we were all done with our various drinks and were just sitting and chatting Melissa had the idea for us to play the hat game. She had a green hat that we all had to put on and then we had to rate each other and choose who looked the best in the hat. It was funny (as some of us looked really funny in it). Manuel won cause when he put it on he looked like one of santa's elves. =0).... good times. After we left we grabbed some groceries and headed back to campus to make dinner (well... Dennis was going to make dinner for us). When we were getting on the bus there were quite a few people getting on. When that happens sometimes people get on through the doors where people exit. Matt and I started to board the bus and the doors closed on us... caught my leg and my shoulder (wasn't hurt, just slightly embarrased). That was pretty funny too. =)

Dinner was delicious. Dennis made us pasta and Manuel made a spanish tortilla (nothing like mexican tortillas... it's made with potatos, onions and eggs). For desert Matt had brought over the homemade christmas cookies he recieved today from his Grandma..mmmmm... it was great. Dinner conversation was quite intense (and need not be delved into). Needless to say though we lost track of time. We ended up having to run to catch the bus into town so we could still have time to go to a club we were planning to go to. On the way we took a little short cut up a grassy hill. Of course it was raining so it was quite slippery. Of course you can guess what I did. Yep, took a spill while running up it. (not a really big one, but still)... Luckily I was able to catch myself with my hands so nothing except them got muddy. Once in town we had to then walk about 15-20 min. to the club. Managed not to get too wet though. The club was ok. There were different Djs that played Reagge music. When we first got there nothing was going on. Nobody was dancing. It was dead. Closer to 12 though things started to pick up (we had gotten there around 10:30). We spent most of our time there. Matt, Melissa, Graham and I, were briefly at another place where a ska band was playing. That was lots of fun. Unfortunately we only got to hear a few songs and then they were done for the night, so we went back to the reagge place for about another hour. When we left the club to walk back to the bus stop it wasn't raining. Right after we left though it started. Needless to say when we finally got back to campus we were all quite wet. It was all worth it though. What a great day =)... I'll get the pictures up tomorrow for you. Now it's time for me to head off to bed. Night!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb