Introducing Christmas Markets


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
December 3rd 2012
Published: December 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Cologne is our first stop within Germany and the weather has not disappointed! Less than 24hours here and already it is snowing,excellent!

We arrived in Cologne and as has been tradtion so far, jumped on a City Tour to get an introduction to the city. From this tour, we discovered Cologne had 6 Christmas Markets, all looked interesting and we were excited to see them. After spending 90mins on the bus, we headed back to the hotel for a nap before hitting the markets.

Feeling refreshed, we headed back out and we shouldnt have bothered. Tip number one for visiting the Christmas markets in Cologne- DO NOT go at night, especially a weekend night. It was insanely busy and not enjoyable at all as you spent all your time dodging the crowds and not looking at the stalls. We gave up, vowing to go back the next day, during the day.

This proved to be a good move because at lunchtime the next day, not only was it quieter but it started SNOWING! Christmas markets in the snow really gave the whole experience a magical feeling and after visiting 5 of the 6 markets in a day, we managed to get some nice goodies and get quite lost (thank you to the young German boys that took pity on us when they stopped to help us on the side of the road!)

We had a few meals here at the Hard Rock Cafe where the staff were all English, American or Australia. Im still quite happy about the glasses of champas I was gettting.. in a wine glass and well above the standard pour line!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Champas!Champas!
Champas!

Thats what I call a champas pour!


4th December 2012

Sigh
So happy to see you so happy. Holiday so far is amazing

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb