Eurorail Trip Day 11


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
July 16th 2009
Published: July 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we were going to have a tourist guide by the name of Aaron... thank goodness for that as our German sucks and his is rather good. 

We made our way to a rather large Palace just outside of Cologne which was rather amazing ... the gardens alone were absolutely stunning and as you will see from the photos so well maintained and beautiful.





The palace grounds were huge and we decided that in the 27 degree heat it was a good idea to follow the signs on a 25 minute one way walk to a place called Falkenlust! Never again... at least I think we all realised that a bit to late. Falkenlust was jsut another part of the palace that you had to pay to enter so we had to retake our 25 minute walk the other way! How much fun... NOT! It was good exercise though and a nice chance to chat and catch up... best way we can look at it.




We then left the palace and headed for a place called Cologne, we got see one of the largest cathedrals in Europe called the Domm. Wow the photos don’t convey the utter monstrosity that is this place. Its completely stunning the outside and inside. And has a cold and somber ambience and the huge high ceilings with stained glass windows and not much light don’t help that much, however it is stunning and really something well worth visiting.



After that we took a little stroll past the Rheine, it is the largest river in Germany and really is huge. We then stopped for a late bite of KFC which was rather expansive considering what we had just paid for pizza the night before.




Tonight was a night spent relaxing and we both passed out at about 8pm, needless to say we are tired and Gail is still as sick as a dog and complaining!

Till we meet tomorrow...



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



20th July 2009

Howzit
Howzit Guys Sorry to hear about Gail hope she gets better soon ! The cathedral is really lovely. Thanks for the pic's they are great and the up dates and stuff it cool to see what you doing. Have fun and enjoy Warren

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb