Shivering In Our Booties


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
July 21st 2008
Published: July 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

We woke up this morning to an Amsterdam streaming with rain. Since we intended to head to Cologne at some point, we figured why not sooner. Arrived in Cologne at about 3pm, and began exploring.

Now, I have an important confession to make. I think I am too old for hostels. During all of my earlier travels it never occurred to me that I night one day find these cheap beds nasty. Cologne is our first hotel of the trip (as until budget hotels were approximately the same prices) and I worry that it might be one of the nicest. There is some sort of rodent trap outside our door. Lovely. Tomorrow and the next night we are staying in a dorm in Berlin!

Cologne itself seems kinda neat. It was hard to get a real feel for due to the pounding rain. We went out on foot for about three hours looking at various churches, monuments, and the factory that Willy Wanka was based on. Plus we found the water that was bottled as the world's first cologne. They still have a gold fountain of it running through the store.

We decided to bravely try to order hot drinks in a Starbucks. The menu was written in English so we figured it'd be easy as pie. (Now, so you are aware, I can only say hello, thank you, and various curse words in German). It was not easy. We paid, but couldn't figure out how to ask for the bathroom key, and Tim's hot chocolate never did come. Probably should have brought ourselves a German phrase book... any helpful tips would be appreciated.

Tomorrow we are heading to Berlin to meet up with Maria and Tom. Until then, I am sure we'll enjoy the plus twelve, rainy night here in our hostel.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb