So far, so good


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Kassel
June 10th 2007
Published: June 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So, since the last entry we have been to Rothenburg ob der Tauber (the Tauber is a river) and today we have been working on a presentation (our last one) for tomorrow. So lets start, on Thursday it was yet another early start to the day with a trip to Rothenburg. We stayed there for 3 days which was perfect. It has been incredibly hot here for the past few days, i think that is something that makes it a little uncomfortable, it gets really hot here for a few days then cools down quite a bit and then gets really hot again, leaving no time to adjust to the temperature.

Anyway, Rothenburg was really cool it was a really old town with the walls of the city still there protecting the original part like it used to from invaders and all that cool old stuff. The first day we got there we took a tour with a person who was dressed like the Night Watchman, someone who in the olden days used to protect the city from troublemakers and would watch for fires and such. It was pretty interessting to learn about the history of the town and also a good opportunity to see what was in the town/city. There was a bar whose name translated to "Hell" so everyone kept suggesting that we go to hell for drinks...we went to hell and back again but didn't get any drinks there because the bar was just closing as we got there which was a little sad but at least we can say we went there..(that was the second night we were there, bý the way)

On the second day that we were in Rothenburg we looked around the shops a bit, bought a few things too, and also went to the Criminal Museum (what we're doing our presentation on tomorrow). It is actually the only soley focused museum in Europe on the rights of people and punishments of people in history. We saw torture devices (no thank you), shaming punishments and womens punishments as well as some of the methods of giving someone the death penalty which isn't just cutting a head off. There was one way where the executioner would throw a heavy wheel on a person to break his bones until he died, then when dead the executioner would wind the body through the spokes of the wheel and the wheel would be displayed as a way of detering others. This method was only used for people who committed murder, but it was used for a person who stole jewels and coins from Berlin. That theft was only noticed when the person tried to sell the coins....how could you not notice anything...seriously!

After the criminal museum, we went to the Christmas Museum...which really was more like a giant Christmas store so a little bit boring with lots of expensive things...

In the afternoon, after lunch, we headed to the park where we just chilled out and relaxed a little, reading books and not doing a whole lot of anything. It was pretty hot outside so it was nice to just sit and relax really.

After dinner, for which we went out and had Käsespätzel (a paste dish with cheese and onions) we decided to walk the wall...it had started to get dark by this point, so needless to say the wall was very creepy with some very dark areas that we had to walk through. There were no lights inside, and the windows, well they were tiny...i (jo) hit my head really hard on a door way, apparently i didn't duck down low enough...either that or i wasn't paying attention as Sarah loudly said to Watch heads on that door way....really have to work on those listening skills just a little bit...

The next, and last day, we finished up some shopping and Sarah and I finished walking the wall, it provided some fantastic fews and really made you appreciate the size of it. It really was very intimidating in height and looked totally inpenitrable. Then we took the bus back, a four hour bus ride filled with lots of sleeping and the occasional attempt at homework....

Last night, I (jo) came to Vellmar, where Sarah lives and we went to Karaoke with Sarah's host parents and some other students from the program. It was a really fun night, yes even including the HUGE thunderstorm that appeared as we decided to head over the the bar...the joy of walking is the rain takes no pity on you. We crossed several "rivers" that had formed on the roads, and arrived very, very wet..but to be honest i think i added to the fun of it all...

We played some pool and sang some songs, yes including some German ones....99 Luftballons....classic lol...along with some others. And then we headed home and have been working on a presentation all day long...among other things.

So that is about it. This week is the last week for having anything due and this coming Sunday we are looking into going to Hamburg for a day trip so that will be good. Then next week we have our final on the Thursday, the friday we have off and then it's home time for us. So time is going to fly by and then it's home time.

Miss you all
Love
Sarah and Jo

Advertisement



10th June 2007

So good so far
Hi Gals, Nice to get yr update. I've just come back from Holland and Friday nite was the good one for a brilliant thunderstorm and wind lashing etc and then it was all over as soon as it started. I'm glad to be back home after just three days, where everyone, but everyone speaks English better than I do. I'm so impressed that you've thrown yourselves so wholeheartedly into the German experience - especially when you've been plunged into having to understand and speak the language, which sounds very very difficult to me. So total respec! Sending you both loads of love and thanks for all your exciting news and adventures. I shall miss your bulletins, that's for sure. Keep it all up - home will soon be upon you!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb