Student Exchange Awards


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Frankfurt
August 3rd 2016
Published: August 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Each exchange, Heidi and I create awards for the students. These are meant to be fun and light hearted ways to remember the trip and some of the funny things have occurred. We met as a group this evening to hand them out. Here are the awards for 2016! Enjoy!

Ben Tsuffis Award: Not sure they wanted to be here when we arrived, but most definitely sure they wanted to stay when it was time to go! He made a true connection to the country and family in which he stayed and was truly impacted by the experience!

Winner: Brodie Rookhuyzen



Most Like Partner: Switch 'Em in the fall and their classmates wouldn't even know the difference! A great match who will no doubt remain great friends.

Winner: Holly Bombatch



Fan Club Status: The German paparazzi followed them every moment of their stay. Photos and autographs were the norm! Somehow they kept their ego in check despite their newfound rock star status.

Winner: Chloe Brady



Most Likely to be Adopted by Host Family: The parents weren't going to let them leave as they were one of the family already! The parents were perhaps more emotional at departure time than the student was!

Winner: Will Watson



Twinsies Award: Same mannerisms, style, likes and dislikes. Be it in the mall, the castle, or in the river, these two were attached at the hip and were one and the same. Twin Princesses for sure!

Winner: Alyssa Peck



Most Diplomatic: Honest, yet measured. Thoughtful and forthright, and when queried upon political matters responded "I feel that I need more information prior to answering that question."

Winner: Freya Hoskinson



Growing Gills Award: From Iceland to Germany, whenever there was water near, this student could be found in it. No matter the temp, weather, or occasion, they were swimming!

Winner: Lauryn Dykstra



Best Poker Face: Cool, calm and collected. Be it on a high ropes course, alpine slide, speaking to a class of 30, or riding the Silver Star at Europa Park, you would think he was reading a textbook.

Winner: Carson Cesena



Pretzel Prince: All pretzels all the time. A nose for the best, and a refined and discriminating palette. Future baker for sure!

Winner: Ezra Fowler



Subterranean Navigator Extroardinairres: A joint award for the two best Parisian Metro leaders in all of the exchange, if not the world. They took us to Versailles and back, navigating their way around three closed stations in the process. Incredible!

Winners: Ryan Willyerd and Carson Lee



Sit Down and Buckle Up: This individual defied the traffic laws in Germany on a multitude of occasions. Whether it was on the bus to Europa Park, the Ropes Course, Stuttgart (both times), or the Hike, he was up and wandering, and not seated and buckled up as German law dictates.

Winner: Nathan VanBeek



Indiana Jones: Adventurous on the high ropes, intrepid on the hikes. Willing and enthusiastic about any challenge presented. Gung Ho, let's go!

Winner: Katie Sanders



Der Kapitan Award: "Swab the deck, batten down the hatches", this student exemplified leadership at sea by guiding her boat down the mighty Neckar safely as ships all around hers tipped and their crews took a dip. Her crew remained dry!

Winner: Emma Fredlund



All In The Family: The Canoe legacy award. Two years later, and the Wilhonen's are swimming in the Neckar once again!

Winner: Chandler Wilhonen



Are We There Yet Award: Gotta question? No? This person has plenty to make up for that! Where are we? Where are we going? How much would that cost? Why don't you buy that? How tall is the Eiffel Tower? Why did they make it that tall? When are we going to get there? And on and on and on...

Winner: Ivan Ross



Shop 'Till You Drop Award: Does it have a price tag? I'll take four! Leading the "charge" down the Champs Elysee... Louis Vuitton, Tiffany and Co., Prada, no problem!

Winner: Shelly Staples



Angela Merkel Award: The leader in the trenches. Strong, confident, positive and smart. She could lead a group, a company, or an army with no problem or hesitation. Wir Shaffen Das!

Winner: Carissa Kreider



Five Star Yelp Rating: Off the charts and through the roof reviews from German teachers, parents, and tour leaders about this student. Well spoken, thoughtful, and energetic. Always willing to take part in anything the German teachers asked with good humor and kindness!

Winner: Carlos Roques



Pedallo Award: Mastered an obscure German circus toy on the first attempt during sport day. Who needs a drivers license when you can get to school just as fast on this device?

Winner: Juliana Fowler



Lost and Mostly Found Award: So entranced with Europe's sights that he could be counted on to become separated from the group, and always found again, sometimes before he even knew he was lost!

Winner: Vojtech Morgan



Museum Marauder: This individual was visibly blown away by art at the Orsay and Louvre. Wide eyed and excited to elaborate on her artistic discoveries.

Winner: Tiana Jacobs

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb