Arriving in Germany: too much excitement


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Frankfurt
August 9th 2011
Published: August 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we left Poland on our way westward to our final destination in Paris at the end of the month. The hotel last night was luxury and we were sorry to leave after one night but we had another border to cross today. The drive through Poznan this morning was straightforward and all the signage was easy to follow.
It wasn’t long before we were driving through the familiar countryside of open pasture and woodland. The route we followed had the best road surface we have experienced in Poland and this meant a relaxed and comfortable drive in preparation for the perfect roads we were expecting in Germany. The only bumps were the disused railway tracks still crossing the road. Heading westward the weather looked quite threatening with large black clouds forming across the sky and a strong southerly wind was blowing. Fortunately we missed what the clouds had to offer and remained dry.
With several zlotys still in our purse we made a final fuel stop before crossing the border. It is as well we chose the stop when we did as just around the corner we were driving through the old check point, across the Oder River and into Germany. Stopping briefly for some ceremonial photos we thought it was time to see if Miss GPS was still with us. Sure enough she woke from her five week slumber as if nothing had happened. Within seconds of being given the coordinates she had us on our way to our hotel in Frankfurt en Oder.
There was excitement in the air. We were in a new country (never been in Germany before), Miss GPS was back, the sun was shining and the roads were smooth. Driving along this minor highway we passed beautifully groomed properties and very productive fields. Even the tractors filling the road seemed bigger and faster than anywhere else. Suddenly we were speaking too soon. The local council of one village had the foresight to cobble their main street to make it look authentic, and to catch the tourist. All this excitement was just getting too much. For some unknown reason they had placed a camera on a pole to photograph all tourists travelling along their road. We look forward to receiving our holiday snap when we finally reach home.
We have decided not to spend too much time in Germany on this trip. It is a big country with a lot to see and we are running out of time. What we have seen on this first day whets our appetite for more. Tomorrow we head for Leipzig for two nights and a bit of a rest after recent long drives.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.303s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb