Roaming to Romerberg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Brandenburg » Frankfurt
May 26th 2022
Published: May 30th 2022
Edit Blog Post

One of the more interesting places in Frankfurt is an "old town" area called Romer or Romerberg. I may a short visit on my last visit here, in between my side trip to Mallorca, and my flight home last October. With more time, I am in search of some delicious sauerbraten. My last visit here did not result in sauerbraten that could be called superior to what we get back home. And believe me, I have had sauerbraten all over Germany and Austria. The sauerbraten at the old Chef Burger in Pleasant Hill is far superior, as of today. But first, a bit about Romer. The iconic square is home to great medieval buildings and historic markets. I would call it a mix between the old and the new. Romer has been the city hall since the 15th century. And though it was damaged extensively during WW2, it has been restored (1986), and just feels like it is old and historic once again. Romerberg means Roman Mountain, though nobody is quite sure how it got its name. It was the site of the Nazi book burning in 1933.
The facades are three step gables, as seen in the photo below. When internationally renowned Römerberg Festival had been held here every summer, with nearly 350 open-air theater shows performed during the period.

St. Paul’s Church, locally known as Paulskirche,is a historical church dating back to 1789. It was consecrated as a protestant church and has served its fair share of purposes: as a home to Germany’s first National Assembly, a meeting place for people to see American President John F. Kennedy deliver a speech in 1963, and as a venue for awards ceremonies and other special events.

From Culture Trip: The Römerberg Square is the gift that just keeps on giving, as here, in the very heart of Frankfurt’s Old Town, you will also discover the Fountain of Justice too. Built in 1543, the statue of goddess Justitia holding the scales of justice without her usual blindfold is facing the square. Legends have been built around the fountain, and the most famous one says that when an emperor was crowned, the people of Frankfurt could enjoy themselves here. The fountain didn’t provide the people of this city just with water, but it also spilled wine, and the people of Frankfurt could smell the aroma of a feast in the workings too!
Can you believe there is a Mexican restaurant here?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.448s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 39; qc: 146; dbt: 0.2723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 3.1mb