Berlin - Currywurst, Playgrounds, and Wasting Time


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
March 11th 2013
Published: June 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I was recently asked if the kids absorbed the culture and sights on our trips or if they just enjoyed playing at the parks and playgrounds, which we could be doing at home. The truth is, despite all the amazing historical sites and places we take them to, I feel like they learn the most while doing something they enjoy. The playground is where the kids get to interact with other kids by playing trains or learning how to play new games. They realize that even though these kids speak and look different then them, they are still kids. And they learn that everyone understands the language of smiles and laughter. At this age, there is no greater lesson that I can teach them!

And if my words aren't enough, here is the first entry from our newest contributing editor on the family blog, describing her favorite topic from Berlin.



German Playgrounds

by Grace Wilde (7 years old)
The playgrounds were awesome. They had a trampoline ramp that Daddy jumped on. It was fun because when he jumped on it we would bounce. Another fun thing was a giant bowl swing that all of us could fit in. They also had a tire swings, a rolling log, climbing stuff, zip-lines, and seesaws. I think its better then here because what fun to ZOOM AND ZIP every single day. I think Germans are cool to make all of that.





Berlin Eats




We also love to explore the local food scene, as it allows us to connect with the people, history, and culture. Even on day trips near home, we probably spend just as much time researching what to eat as we do finding sights and activities. Most of our trips begin with a crazy, adventurous local dive that leaves us with great memories and (usually) full bellies. One of the first dishes that popped up when researching Berlin was Currywurst, and so we had to give it a try.

Currywurst here, currywurst there, currywurst everywhere! After only a couple days in Berlin, it was evident that currywurst was a local staple and favorite. Currywurst is made with a very light flavored wurst that is topped with a sauce and then dusted with curry powder. Each currywurst sauce was unique, with varieties including the marinara sauce at KaDeWe and the sweet bbq sauce found at McDonalds. But they were all topped with a dusting of curry.

We also ate at Konnopke's Imbiss which began serving currywurst in the 1930's and claims to serve the 'original'. It is a little difficult to find below the S-Bahn tracks at the Schonhauser Allee station. The sauce here was more like a ketchup, and the dish was served ready to eat while standing at bar-height tables. This serving style was common on street-facing locations like this, and they were an obstacle for our family since the tables were too high for our kids to reach. So, we usually opted for restaurants or diners where the kids could sit and eat.

Oddly, the grand champion Currywurst according to our family was the McDonalds 'McCurry'. The McCurry had a sweet bbq sauce which contrasted nicely with the spice of the curry. If they served the McCurry here in Texas, I'd be one happy girl!



Shopping




As frugal travelers, we usually don't buy a lot of souveniers since everything has to find it's way back home in 5 backpacks, more or less. However, we love to hang out and people watch at shopping malls while getting out of the weather and slowing down. Berliners do love to shop! We only visited a few 'traditional' indoor malls such as the Europa Center, where we found a large water clock (also known as 'The Clock of Flowing Time'😉 that still boggles my mind. Then there are several very large department stores, such as KaDaWe and Galeria, that feature massive cafeterias and grocery stores as well as endless themed floors of shopping. It was in Galeria Kaufhof that Brecklyn found her purple 'Germany shoes' that have since been worn down to the socks. Ironically, they were only 10 Euro and qualify as the cheapest souvenir of the trip 😊. And then there are entire shopping districts which are large enough to get lost in. Alexanderplatz is a very lively square at the connection point of several of the rail lines, and we spent a lot of time here watching artists, performers, and panhandlers at their finest.



When all else fails...



Of course, there will be days when it is best to just take in some culture without leaving the hotel room. We don't do this often, but it never fails to leave us with some good memories, and the kids seem to fill in the language gap without problem!

When someone asks me what there is to do in Berlin, I usually can't give a quick answer. This city has a little bit of something for everyone, and I have a hard time deciding on just one thing that sticks out.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.343s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 18; qc: 60; dbt: 0.2091s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb