Stamp # 2: Danke Schoen, darling, Danke Schoen -- Wayne Newton


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
January 27th 2010
Published: January 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Gutentag - Jan 21-25
My good friend Vicky and I took advantage of a super affordable flight thru Ryanair.com and ended up in Berlin, Germany this past weekend. Unbelievably cold to say the least, she and I wore at least 3 layers of clothing and two pairs of socks each day, mind you we were outside for most of those days so it was the least we could do. We stayed in a hostel (but a really nice hostel) right beside Berlin's central train station (kind of like staying right beside Union Station) -- Berlin Hauptbahnhof (pronounce: Hout-bun-hof), I thought it was hoppedbanhof at first. LOL.

We were walking distance to a few key landmarks: Brandenburg Gate & the Reichstag.

I took over four hundred pictures, so I will have to write about each day separately with their albums; today, Day 1: Walking Tour.

The first full day there, we decided to go on a 3.5h walking tour. Yes. In the cold. Not the best decision ever, but when you're a tourist, and want to see things, you quickly forget about how you feel and revel in the moment thinking,

"OMG, that's the Berlin Wall! I was turning
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_to_the_Murdered_Jews_of_Europe)
8 when I saw it fall on TV!"

We also got to see Hotel Adlon. What's so special about a hotel? That's what I said. At first. Well, my dear, remember when Michael Jackson was filmed dangling his son, Blanket, over a balcony in front of a lot of people? That was from the Hotel Adlon which directly faces the Brandenburg Gate on Pariser Platz. It costs 12000.00 EURO a night.

Other sites we saw:
Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe
Checkpoint Charlie
Gendarmenmarkt
Bebelplatz
A monument to 'victims of war and tyranny'
Berliner Dom

See which pics correspond to which place. It's easy though!












Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

This building has evidence of bullet holes from the war. They're the smaller holes, not the few big ones first noticeable.
Cold War PropagandaCold War Propaganda
Cold War Propaganda

Painted on the side of the Luftwaffe HQ
Remains of the wallRemains of the wall
Remains of the wall

I am on one side of the street, the wall is on the other side that's why it doesn't SEEM as tall. It is though, probably about 10 feet. Just googled and it was about 11 feet.
CrossroadsCrossroads
Crossroads

Back in WWII Germany, this area had the Luftwaffe, the Gestapo and the SS offices/HQ stationed here; appropriately this is where my pics of the wall were taken as well.
Photo 15Photo 15
Photo 15

Checkpoint Charlie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkpoint_Charlie) That is NOT Charlie. It referred to military alphabet of Alpha, Bravo, Charlie...


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb