Check Point Charlie


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
July 5th 2008
Published: July 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we visitied the Berlin Wall and Check Point Charlie. We hadn't realized that the wall went up August of 1961. Before there had been travel restrictions but the wall went up then. Check Point Charlie was the place where east met west. There isn't much of the wall left. We did go to one area where they have preserved the Wall and show how the East German govenrment created a "death strip" between the wall and East Berlin, not allowing anyone to leave East Berlin. Very interesting!

In addition to seeing the historical sites, we did some people watching while we ate and drank some beer. On our way to Checkpoint Charlie's, which is quite a few train rides away from the hotel (Berlin is an absolutely huge city), we stopped and had lunch at a German restaurant - sat outside of course because weather is absolutely beautiful today. Robert had weinerschnitzel and I had "meat loaf" with potato and cucumber salad (very delicious - my new favorite - Robert had it last night as well.) Not sure what kind of "meat" was in loaf. Liver is very popular here but it tasted more like pressed ham. Then, it started to look like potted meat/vienna sausage/spam so I had to stop but no worries - I was very full from the beer and the potato salad.

After the sightseeing ended, we tried to go to the oldest beer garden but it was not open so we just went to a sidewalk cafe. A huge majority of the population here has tattoos, piercings or both and usually, more than one of each. I certainly fit in with my tattoo I got in Amsterdam (?????????). Also, people of all ages dye their hair different colors, and I'm not talking just blond, red or brunette. The hotel is wonderful, with a kitchen and a sitting room. What I need a kitchen for I do not know but the frig is handy to keep the wine, water and diet cokes cold.

All in all, Berlin has been a wonderful experience. My thought today when I looked at the wall and read all of the history at the wall and at Check Point Charlie's was that we should not take our freedom too lightly.

We are off to dinner now and will take a train in the morning to Prague (5 hour trip). Will talk again soon. Hope to here from some of you.

Kathy and Robert


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The Wall today.The Wall today.
The Wall today.

Notice the "death strip"
Berlin - CheckPoint 011Berlin - CheckPoint 011
Berlin - CheckPoint 011

Monument to Jewish people in front of the Reichstag
Berlin - CheckPoint 012Berlin - CheckPoint 012
Berlin - CheckPoint 012

Monument to Jewish people


6th July 2008

Ummm... a tatoo??? Glad y'all are having fun!! The pictures are awesome! Have fun in Prague :)
7th July 2008

Germans...
I am telling you those Germans can be freaky! I have run into two German couples in my lifetime and both of them were swingers!!! WTF? I can't wait to see the tat! It looks like ya'll are having fun and we miss ya'll!
15th July 2008

Tatoo?
The plane, the plane!

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb