Walking tour - superb!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
July 29th 2005
Published: August 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Today we went on a walking tour led by a Canadian/Berliner named Brian. It was just mind-blowing! Brian really new his stuff and had many stories to tell. I can't possibly narrow six hours down but I will mention some highlights.

One thing Matt and I were blown away with was standing on the site above Hitler's bunker where he was brought above ground after he killed himself. We also saw the sight of the book burnings where there was an arty memorial underground. We walked through a controversial memorial to the Jews that consisted of different levelled cement blocks.
As well we looked at a memorial for the 96 men who voted against Hitler and in one way or another under Nazi rule lost their lives. Of course we saw the exsisting part of the Berlin wall and Checkpoint Charlie. Brian ended the tour with a hearfelt story about the events leading up to the Berlin wall being brought down. He explained that even though this seemed such an amazing thing it was remarkably painful also.

In the evening we went up the tv tower and had a very ordinary meal in the revolving restaurant (lucky for the views!) What an amazing day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb