Tuesday 28th in Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
May 28th 2019
Published: May 29th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We checked into our hotel, a 3-star named Alexander Plaza, centrally located for our current foray. After a shower and a light light lunch near the hotel it was off to the Pergamon Museum, only two blocks away. Museum Island is surrounded by the Spree River and has four museums and the city’s main church, Berlin Dom. Today it was a two hour visit to the Pergamon with its exquisite collection of ancient Persian, Greek and Islamic pieces. The first thing you see is the immense gates of fabled Babylon. They are over 40 plus feet high with beautiful blue bricks and carvings of animals. Then we walked into the three-tiered ancient Greek Market Gate from Miletus near Ephesus in Turkey. We were in awe, especially when we had visited Miletus and it 25,000 person theatre. But most of all we wondered at the nerve of the German archaeologists in the 1800s to have taken temples and walls that weigh hundreds of tons.

Tired of looking at beautiful things we walked over to the Neues Museum and got a coffee and some water before visiting Nefertiti’s bust which was found at Armana and is absolutely beautiful. Not sure how Nefertiti, with her striking looks, could be attracted to Akhenaton with his weird religion and weirder looks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb