Day 05: Goodbye Berlin, Hello Krakow (Jun 2018)


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
June 13th 2018
Published: March 10th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday, 13th June 2018

Our day began early with breakfast at a local 19 Gram Coffee Chain that served up traditional Eggs Benedict and other hot foods. After a satisfying meal, we took a Bahn to Nordbahnhof where the Berlin Wall Memorial is located. This is another site in the city where remnants of the famous wall could be seen. Over at the Documentation Centre, there is a special exhibition titled "1961-1989, The Berlin Wall" where poignant images of the wall were displayed.

In the afternoon, we also found time to visit the DDR Museum located in the Mitte District. This is a little nostalgic museum that showcased life in German Democratic Republic (GDR) aka East Germany in a fun and interactive setting. Opposite the DDR Museum stood the Berlin Cathedral Church with its majestic and elaborate dome which dwarfed other buildings in the vicinity.

There is always room for another site before our evening flight to Krakow. We decided to make it the Berlin Tower to complete our Berlin experience. Completed in October 1969, this 368m television tower is intended to showcase the Communist power as it gained traction during the Cold War period.

As we rounded up our three-day visit in Berlin, we were impressed by the sheer number of historical sites littered throughout the city. This greatly enhanced our understanding of WWII and Cold War histories from the German's perspective.

Goodbye Berlin, as we continued on with our journey to Krakow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb