Fussen and Neuschwanstein!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria
July 26th 2014
Published: July 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

On from our comfortable homes in Haigerloch and on the road again. The majority of the group departs for home on Monday, but we have a couple more stops in Germany before they get there. Our first destination, Fussen.

The tourist mecca sans the crowds that is Fussen is home to perhaps the most recognizable of German icons now that the wall has fallen. Neuschwanstein Castle is perched upon a forested rock outcropping overlooking a lake dotted valley below. It is a picturesque location that inspires romanticized vision of medieval life. In fact, this gleaming white structure with its tall towers and fairy tale appearance actually inspired the Disney castle.

After the kids dropped their bags at the incredibly clean and well run youth hostel and gathered to cry together one last time, we were off for the castle tour. A short and easy stroll up the hill while dodging horse drawn carriages carrying less intrepid tourists, and we were face to face with this magnificent building.

The Mad King Ludwig commissioned the building of this castle as an ode to medieval legends and operas. He was especially fond of Wagner, and his likeness, and that of this works, are prominent throughout the castle. The plans for the structure were actually much more grandiose than the final product that we see today. In fact, the castle is only one third complete! Also quite unfortunate is the fact that Ludwig only got to live in his castle for 172 days before his death. Less than six weeks later, the castle was open for public tours.

After the castle and subsequent walk to the bridge spanning the falls and offering an incredible view of Neuschwanstein, it was time for an evening swim on this hot and muggy day. To the Alpsee! A short walk later and we were relaxing in the incredibly still waters of this mountain lake. It was quite refreshing and a just reward for tired feet.

Back to the hostel to clean up and it was out for a night on the town. Well, a stroll thought this sleepy little junior metropolis rather. Most sought out a late dinner at one of the many sidewalk cafes while others simply strolled the cobbled streets or did a little shopping.

We headed back to the hostel at about 10:30, and it was a quick lights out.

Today it is off to Munich to experience big city life before the group breaks up and goes their separate ways on Monday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb