Oktoberfest - Sept 2010


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria
October 22nd 2010
Published: October 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hostival Pub CrawlHostival Pub CrawlHostival Pub Crawl

Hostival organized Hangover Hospital pub crawls
September 25th till October 2nd 2010

What exactly is Oktoberfest? Most people assume that it is a type of beer only available in the fall, but that is not it at all. There is so much more. In 1810, the crowned prince of Bavaria, Ludwig I, was getting married to Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen and decided to throw himself a celebration. As the years went on, this party expanded from its original 6 day party into the current 16 day debacle. And surprisingly, the beer tents were a later addition to the party. The current party happens at the Theresienwiese ("Theresa's fields") U-Bahn train stop, the original site of the party.

Ok, so now that we have the history but what about present day? Oktoberfest is a celebration that 6 million people come to a year and is celebrated at random pubs and restaurants worldwide.

If you can get here, which I suggest you do at some point in your life, definitely spend more than a couple of days there. I only spent a couple of days here, and even though it was more than enough, I would suggest about three or four days to get a full
Hostival wallHostival wallHostival wall

Hangover Hospital wall we all got to draw on!
experience. The carnival and beer tent combination is something that should by experienced at different points and not all together because the day becomes too much.

Quick Tips:
To come to Oktoberfest and not drink at a beer is not the real experience, so try to get to the tents early to find a spot inside. The lines for the tents become ridiculous very fast and getting inside borders on the impossible, so plan your day correctly.

Also, try to get a hostel/hotel near the festival grounds so you don't have to deal with the subway and crowds and you can just stumble home. Trying to figure out the trains after 3 liters of beer is a feat many can't fully accomplish.

I'm not one to promote for free but I would with out a doubt recommend for everyone to always book festival accommodation with the festival specialists...Hostival.
Hostival is a company I have used twice before and I will follow these guys to any festival because they just know how to show you a great time. We even had a free pub crawl where Giuliano Giacovazzi got us all sooo hammered all for free!
Hostival goes
Refugee TentRefugee TentRefugee Tent

Our hostel was in the style of a refugee tent! Awesome!
by the name of the Hangover Hospital at the Oktoberfest which is sooooo much fun because all the staff are dressed in either scrubs or nurse outfits and the hostel is based in a refugee style hospital tent! Sounds like your slumming it but its ideal for the Oktoberfest.
The now famous host, Giuliano Giacovazzi (or should I say, Doctor Love as he is called at the Hangover Hospital) is a genius and such a friendly guy. He has gone from a 12 bunk beach hostel to this years 250 guests in just three years!
Having said this, this hostel is not for the newbies to backpacking as there were a few regular hotel goers complaining about the massive Hangover Hospital tent where as most of us found it such a fun idea.
www.hostivalonline.com

Best Way To Get Around:
If you can, if possible, steer clear of taking cabs because they charge an arm and a leg. The best way to get around the center of Munich is the U-Bahn train. This thing brings you so close that stumbling two blocks is fine and the crowds are so intense that that show is worth the trip on its own.
My new friendsMy new friendsMy new friends

My new friends I met at the hostel
A town full of St. Pauli girls and guys in laderhousens is a strange sight to see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Dr LoveDr Love
Dr Love

My hero...Doctor Love!


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb