Wedding Anniversary celebration in Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria
June 18th 2008
Published: June 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We went to Munich on a long weekend mainly to visit the Bavarian Alps and Neuschwanstein Castle. We spend 2 full days in Munich and 1 day traveling around the Allgau region, which was enough to visit the main tourist sites.

As I expected, Munich is a very organised city. Everything is clean and works. Despite being a big city, it doesn't have that claustrophobic feel. I was amazed by the fact that pedestrians don't cross the road until the red man turns green, even if the road is clear! I was also impressed by the number of people cycling and by the parents pulling their kids on a carrier thing attached to their bikes. There are cycle paths in the entire city, not to mention that the bikes are left unchained and unattended!

On Friday night we went to a very trend restaurant/bar in Maximilianstrasse called "Brenner". It is a very nice grill/past place - worth a visit. www.brennergrill.de

On Saturday morning, we drove our rented car to the Allgau region to visit the famous Neuschwasntein Castle. The journey took us 1:30 and our aim was to get there as earlier as possible to avoid the big queues. We bought our tickets for the guided tour visit (all visits are guided) and had to decide how to get up to the mountain. We had 3 options: a 40 min walk, a bus ride that would take us close to the castle, and a horse carriage that would take us very close to the castle. We decided for the horse ride!

The castle is tucked in the middle of the mountain with a breathtaking view! The interior of the castle is beautiful, but the exterior is much more special. The guided visit takes around 30 min. There is not much to see, but it still worth it. There are loads of unfinished rooms.

From there, we walked a bit further to reach the Marinbrucke bridge where you can take the best pictures of the castle, but I wouldn't recommended for those with aversion to heights.

We decided to walk down and go for a stroll around the village and its various beer gardens. As by the end of the visit we were tired, we decided not to visit Schloss Hohenschwangau which is the other nearby castle.

On our way back we stopped in Fussen for lunch at Marco Polo restaurant. The view was also stunning.

We spend a further day in Munich visiting the English Garden, a huge public park (one of the largest city parks in Europe) and I was amazed by the surfers surfing on the waves of the chilly Eisbach. After that, we headed to the airport (miles away from the city) and flew back home.




Additional photos below
Photos: 83, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

MaximilianstrasseMaximilianstrasse
Maximilianstrasse

The fashionable designer clothes' street
Central SquareCentral Square
Central Square

with the New Town Hall on the background
Altes RathausAltes Rathaus
Altes Rathaus

The tower of the Old Town


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb