Searching for Roman ruins/remains on the Limes Trail


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria
August 2nd 2007
Published: September 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Up Up Up

Up from Hienheim to the plateau around Laimerstadt
We are now on the Limes Bicycle Route. It purports to follow the Limes, which is the border between the Roman Empire and the lands occupied by Germanic tribes that the Romans did not occupy.

We know that it will be a hilly route as the Romans wanted to have tower posts along the border from which to look down into the territory they did not control.

We plan to do three stretches of the Limes. The first stretch from Hienheim to south of Nuremburg we see a few remains but the major ones are too far off our route for us to see and to keep to schedule as we want to take the train into Nuremburg for three days with Andreas.

We do have enjoyable stops in Altmannstein and Kipfenberg.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

DownDown
Down

Down to Hagenhill (prior to Altmannstein)
Rest stop on hill before descent to DenkendorfRest stop on hill before descent to Denkendorf
Rest stop on hill before descent to Denkendorf

We have some difficulty following the map we have of the Limes Strasse. Often asking for directions. One man even tells us to give up on the Limestrasse Route and do the Altmuehtal instead or even the Danube. When we could find no accommodation in Hienheim the night before we were told the same things - to do the Altmuehtal Bike Route instead of the Limes.
Center of BavariaCenter of Bavaria
Center of Bavaria

As promised, the Limes Route does take you to the geographical center of Bavaria. This place was featured in a television report we had seen (while we were in Vienna) about five bike paths in Germany. The announcer said that he saw no other cyclists doing the Limes route and would only recommend it for those with a good sense of direction, stamina and goal orientation.
Coffee Stop in Kipfenberg market square with view of Burg KipfenbergCoffee Stop in Kipfenberg market square with view of Burg Kipfenberg
Coffee Stop in Kipfenberg market square with view of Burg Kipfenberg

We are now in the Altmuehtal and cycle along the Altmuehtal to the train stop in Kinding, 10 kilometers north of here. The Burg you see above dates from the 12th Century and withstood the 30 year and other wars but succumbed to time partially in 1869. In the 1930's it was rebuilt.
Train Station Train Station
Train Station

A new ICE train station outside of Kinding. It was built to accommodate the superfast ICE trains from Munich to Nuremburg, which do not stop here, only race frequently through on the middle tracks. We take a regular train to Nuremburg, not far north of here.


Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb