The Autobahn


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

July 9, 2007

The Autobahn


Scott is better. He was better the next day. We left the Rhine Valley on Saturday for Rothenburg, Germany, another darling medieval walled town. The 2 hour, turned 4 hour ride was pleasant as the sun was still out and Germany is so beautiful. I had no idea… We got an early start and we were having a great day. Plus it was freeway all the way so no problem…Except the Mercedes, Audi’s and BMW sailing by us on the autobahn at well over a 100 mph. You hear about it but unless you see it…you have no idea. They come right up behind you, get inched away, and then sail by breaking the sound barrier with their speed. It was Saturday and little traffic and OMG!!!!!! The cheap cars don’t do this only the fancy ones and Beemers are the worst!

We arrived safely in Rothenberg and found the best hotel on our journey so far. We had a lovely newly remodeled apartment with parking inside the fortress wall. It was great and the owners were so lovely! We loved this town! We could walk along the top of the wall. The views of the roof tops and the green rolling hills, and farms and forests outside the wall were gorgeous! Everything was green and the gardens were so beautiful. The flowers….I can only wish my yard to look that good for one day. We stumbled on a little park. The boys played and we met a nice family from Texas living in Belgium. It was great to hear their experience. They had been in Europe a year already. We hear the good, and the frustrating (included laundry). This town has the best torture and execution museum too. It held Will’s attention way longer than the British museum which we had to leave after like 15 minutes.

We even spent Sunday with some down time. Rothenburg had a great community center with two fabulous swimming pools. We spent most of the day just hanging out with the German people, away from tourists just letting the kids swim. It was great…because one thing Rothenburg also had was a million American tourists. We thoroughly loved Germany and hope to come back to this really beautiful country with the super nice people!

Today, we got back on the Autobahn….OMG…another Beemer thinking he was Mario Andretti on our tail….and the rain came back. We have been in Europe 3 weeks and had only 4 days of sun. Today we drove to Salzburg, Austria. The rain slowed down the crazy drivers….I understand that if they get in a wreck going above the recommended speed their insurance won’t pay. No one wants to lose 100k euro car hydroplaning at 150 mph.

We arrived in Salzburg at rush hour in the rain and had to look for a place to stay.
We were getting use to this but the rain (it is pouring and cold), the big city and rush hour was a downer. We sat for hour in the Crowne Plaza…regrouping and deciding where to go. The Crowne Plaza not being in our budget…we walked a few blocks and found a nice B & B. I think the lady took us in because we showed up with 2 kids past dinner time, in flip flops, wet and had only one umbrella and sweatshirts that need cleaning. Well we hope to go on the Sound of Music Tour tomorrow but I am not singing about my favorite things running down a muddy hill.



Advertisement



11th July 2007

friend and avid blog reader!
I fogot to tell you about a great store in Rothenburg and now it's too late!! Did you see the Christmas Store on the main plaza, it's Kathy something and my friend lauri and I spent about 4 hours and hundreds of dolalrs there 4 years ago... I still have all the ornaments and decorations I bought there... glitzy but great indulgence! While you're in Germany and Austria look for Christmas stores! ps I LOVE driving the autobahns and autoroutes, can't be too fast for me! Hugs to all. Kd

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb