Day 32 - Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
August 2nd 2015
Published: August 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Wake up in our own time this morning. Chris is felling better after a good sleep so we head off to the hop on hop off bus, via a little diversion I found yesterday. Also, the glockenspiel clock is due to go off at 1100 so it all sort of fits into my grand plan. Walk down to the old gates I found yesterday and through some of the pretty streets. Stop for some bread items as a feed, no breakfast include now, so we are tight in feeds......

Nice croissant with ham and cheese for me and a pumpkin seed roll for Chris. On the way to the beer garden I found yesterday (and the maypole), we hear lots of men shouting, along with loud speakers. This is getting closer, and we get to a corner where even the waiters from a local restaurant are looking so we rush to see what is the issue. Lots of dudes in red, with lots of red powder. Croatian flags, must be a football game today. They are having a great time, then an explosion nearby. Crackers, but scared the living suitcase out of us. On we walk and get to the beer garden, with many broken beer bottle son the way after the March. No market today.

On to the glockenspiel clock but on the way, we notice lots and lots of police around. Get to the square and there is a real police presence there, should we be worried or comforted. Don't know, but get a good position to see the clock do its thing. Police stand near us but they re very casual so we are comforted. Clock does its thing which actually takes about 10 minutes of puppets, etc. doing their magical things to a chorus of bells. Amazing engineering considering this clock was built way back when Australia wasn't even on the map.....

Police move on, even smiling, unheard of over here. We also move on to the bus. Pay our money for an all day ticket then off. We catch the city tour half way in, and then get to the main stop where the 3 tours join. The next tour (purple) is 20 minutes away, so we go over to the central station to book our ticket back to Salzburg for tomorrow. All good, then back to the next tour. Getting dizzy, but this is the best way to see lots without walking. Finally get to the 3rd tour, then off and back to the city tour to complete the rest of what we missed. Done and dusted. Now for some food and drink.

Into the beer garden from earlier conversation. Get some food, then a beer. This time a big one. When in Rome.... Bloody heavy, but hey, I can suffer the pain.... Find a table and people watch once again.. Interesting day. Beer over, walk back up the Main Street and back to the hotel. Chris is ready for another rest. Settled and I go off for dinner. Dinner done and back to the hotel with some medication to hopefully ease the unwell feeling for Chris.

She is sitting up and feeling a bit better. I now have €5 to spend in the bar downstairs by myself, bugger...

The desk person is the one from yesterday and is really good - actually remembers me - scary. Beer in hand, iPad in hand, blog in place, good night.....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.343s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0991s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb