Grüß Gott München


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
July 6th 2014
Saved: September 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

So waking up early to get to Munich turned out to be a good idea since it was a 5 hour train right, luckily my hotel was right by the trainstation so hopping back on was easy.

I decided to go to Dachau today, it was maybe 30 minutes away but rather informative. I seemed to get through it faster than the other guests and I think that may have been that I found a lot of features and information similar to that of Buchenwald. The camp today is much smaller than what was and the barracks had to be burned in most concentration camps to keep disease in postwar Europe from spreading, but they did have two remodels of the buildings themselves. Dachau is one of the first concentration camps to be erected in Europe and similar to Buchenwald, it housed mostly political prisioners. What stuck out in this one was the holding of priests in three different barracks. Some priest were detained for anti-nazi sentiment and since a priest can have a lot of influence on the public, the Nazis would hold them as well. I seem to keep running into people from California here, I have yet to figure that out still. After meeting two people from Cali, Max and Michelle we all tried to get back to the trainstation, a much longer walk than the locals told us!

After getting back from the concentration camp I decided to take a walk around the town, luckily as well the location of my hostel is right on a strip of big shops and right by Hofbräuhaus. I decided to grab dinner at the Hofbräuhaus and it was definitly worth it. I decided to get what is kinda like a thick slab of bacon from the pigs belly and served with Bavarian Sauerkraut and a bread dumpling ball. All very good, beer here only comes in ,5 liter or full liters. There is also a dark side to Hofbräuhaus, it was actually the meeting place for the Nazi party early on, the reason they call the attempt by national socialists to overthrow the Bavarian government the "beer hall putsch" is exactly why.

Tomorrow I plan on going to Füssen to check out Schloß Neuschwanstein, it is going to be epically touristy but at the same time should be rather cool to see.

servus!


Additional photos below
Photos: 121, Displayed: 23


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb