Prague to Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
August 19th 2011
Published: August 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Prague to Munich



We departed Prague and headed towards Munich in Germany – the festive home of Oktoberfest!
We explored the cultural side of Munich, spending some time in Marienplatz (the main square) where we watched on as the New Town Hall (NeuesRathaus) revealed an amazing Glockenspiel show, the most overrated tourist attraction in Europe. Also in the square was the Mariansaule (column monument with golden statue of Virgin Mary), we then visited Frauenkirche where we climbed the tower to take in the view out of the 15th century cathedral.
The Viktualienmarkt was incredible with around 140 stalls selling everything from fresh fruit, veggies, cheese and most importantly wurst!! Yum!
We spent a bit of time experiencing the old-world charm and famous beer halls. Hofbrauhaus was incredible, and we spent our evening meal with the group at Munchner Haupt (old hunting lodge) – with a massive roasted pork knuckle as we watched the dancers in traditional dress yodelling and playing the bells! For 1 Litre steins the beer went down surprisingly quick – or maybe we were dehydrated from all the walking around town! Lach went back for a second stein while Sheree decided to opt for a shandy!
We spent the following day visiting Dachau Concentration Camp – the first concentration camp to be opened in Germany in 1933. Over 30,000 people were reported to have met their fate within the walls here – mainly through disease, malnutrition and suicide. The museum had chilling memorials as we wandered around the grounds visiting the roll-call area, gas chambers and two crematoriums that ran around the clock.
It was hard to leave here knowing that so many people had lost their lives in such terrible circumstances. It’s hard to imaging how anybody could do this to another human being. So many faces without a name, we are so lucky to call Australia home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb