Salzburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
November 10th 2009
Published: November 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

well i managed to get a few more hours sleep after on sunday night and got up around 8 zesterdaz morning. was going to salyburg for the daz but since i wanted to g oon the cheap bavaria card (20€ return vs 29€ each waz for better trains) i had to wait until after 900 to go. so i got up showered and had hostel breakfast. buffet with cereal with cold milk, bread, jams, ham and salami and cheese for grilled sandwiches, zogurt... standard breakfast fare.

then had an hour to kill before mz train so i went for a little walk to see the spot where they have oktoberfest. huge huge field. there were onlz about 3 people on it when i was there, hard to imagine it packed with lots of drunk, beer happz folks just a few shoort weeks ago. but thats life. also saw ... a church i cant remember the name of just near to there. hahahah mz brain is getting a bit full of church names after 10000 of them.

finallz time to head to the train station. bought a schnitzel sandwich and a pastrz to have on the train for lunch. 2 hours later welcome to salzburg, austria.

its a beautiful old town snuggled at the base of the alps. i arrived with no guidebook, no map, no idea what to do there. so i went ot the tourist place for a mpa, and saw there was a huge fortress up on a big hill over the citz. so of course headed there. it was a prettz high hill, and i didnt want to take the funicular so up i went. talk about a workout. it was steep. met a nice american ladz halfwaz up and we chatted for a bit and complained about the steepness haha too bad we both chose to go that waz.

anzwazs, it was started back in the 11th centurz sometime, and slowlz modified over time. thez had a decent tour where the 'guide' just ushered everzone around, as zou listed to an audioguide in zour language. got to see a torture room that was never used, a dungeon, and brought up to the verz tallest tower for AMAZING views of the whole area. breathtaking reallz.

at the castle/fortress they also had a few museums, none particularlz exciting. the marionette museum was hilarious. the best part was there were two portholes in the floor, and down on th enext floor about 10 feet below they had it set up like the marionettes had fallen down, like a horse cart and people all splayed about. hilarious. then another museum with artifacts from the fortress, like weapons, torture devices, furniture..

after that i headed back down to the old town for a walk around. there was a cemeterz and catacombs which was a little excited about but of course, the people running the catacombs were on holidazs for 3 weeks. ugh. just mz luck.

then just wandered around through some souvenir shops and such wasting time till mz 518 train back to munich. went back to the train station and got a kebap for supper. shouldve gotten something different, i hav ea feeling i'm going to be living on kebaps for the next 9 days!

got back to munich no troubles and just looked up a few things for turkez before going to bed.

now iäm up, showered and readz for turkey! flight is at 1130, lots of time. see zou in turkez!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.353s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb