Spain, Cruise, Austria, GERMANY - Munich and Berlin; England


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
August 7th 2009
Published: November 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 46: Fri 7th. August: Week 7: MUNICH: Temp 20C After yet another early breakfast we had the 1 1/2 hour train ride to Munich and then taxi to hostel. BEWARE at the Hostel Munchen Park anyone over 26 has to pay extra rate which we were not aware of when we booked the room. The hostel is good and there are lifts. We checked in our luggage and walked to the nearby Underground to Central Station - hopped onto a tram and out to the Botanical Gardens - very lovely place to while away and hour or so. Back to the Hostel for tea at €5.50 - soup, cooked meal and salad bar, sweets and fruit. Very good value.

Day 47: 8th August: Munich: Temp 23C: Down to Dining Room for breakfast - they are getting better as we go - here the choice was very good - water, juice, coffee, teas, chocolate; cereals; creamed rice, yoghurt, fruit, rolls, cheese, meat, cucumber, tomato, jams. Today we made our way to the English Gardens and strolled around for 3 hours before heading off to the Olympic Park where we walked to the Tower and up to the viewing platforms - a magnificent view of the Park and surrounds. Down and onto the little train that takes you for a narrated tour of the Park, We bought a meal in the cafe there - good selection of foods and drinks and nice eating area. Well worth a visit here.

Day 48: 9th. August: Munich: Temp 23C: Off to the Toy Museum and for anyone who likes Teddies - the place to go. Onto trams and a walk to the Schloss Nyphemburg - a walk through the grounds before doing a walk through the palace to admire the lovely paintings and collection. We had a choice next of going to the Japanese Gardens or Casino, and as the tram stopped right at the Casino door we chose that. The Casino is not a large building, it is individual shops with gaming machines where 1 person can play multiple machines at one time - many patrons were using 6 -8 machines. Eventually played a machine and got my money back. Good fun.

Day 49: 10th. August: Munich: Temp 21C: We decided to visit the city of Nuremburg - lovely city and different to my expectations. We walked around the centre
MunichMunichMunich

Botanic Gardens
of town - looked at this and that, took photos - bought some presents and enjoyed our visit.

Day 50: 11th. August: BERLIN: Temp 22C: On the train again to Berlin - nice seat in 1st class this time for the long trip - on late arrival we had a taxi to Hostel Ernst Reuter, booked in and had twin room with bunks but had to haul our cases up the steps. Also toilet was a distance away and female bathroom down several flights of stairs near the laundry - isolated. The staff here were really very pleasant and helpful and the most friendly we had met so far. We could also buy a good home cooked meal here.

Day 51: 12th. August: Berlin: Temp 23C: Breakfast again was really good; water, juice, coffee, teas, hot choc; cereals, breads, rolls; fresh fruit selection; yoghurt selection; condiment selection; boiled eggs; cold meat/cheese selection. We bought a €6.80 Day Ticket for travel on bus, train sections ABC. So the 125 bus to the U6 train to the S1 to the main station and the Bus 200 to see the sights of Berlin - doing this tour allows you to HOP
Munich Munich Munich

Botanic Gardens
ON/ HOP OFF as you wish. We had lunch at Big M, toilets clean, then onto the Double Decker train to Potsdam to see the castle. When we arrived at the station there was a girl handing out brochures for a Sightseeing Bus leaving in 10 minutes, so we purchased tickets for that and off we went for a 2 ½ hour guided tour around to some of the castles, a walk around 3, past the Brandeburg Gate, the pink house where Big Deals were signed with Putin. Returned to the station then a long slow ride back on the S1, to the S7, the U6 and the bus 125. Thanks goodness there was a lovely meal waiting for us at the hostel when we arrived.

Day 52: 13th. August: Berlin: Temp 23C: Took the 100 bus, got off at the University and walked about taking lots of photos. Hopped onto a water bus and did a boat cruise which was very interesting indeed and gave us a totally different visual view of this city. Back on the 200 bus to a beautiful garden of statues and fountains, back to Frederick Strobe and a walk to Checkpoint Charlie where
Munich Munich Munich

Botanic Gardens
we took our time reading all the wall papers, taking photos and where I bought more gifts. Another full day another lovely meal waiting for us back at the hostel.

Day 53: 14th. August 2009: Berlin to London, England: We had packed the previous night, so down to another delightful breakfast, and goodbyes to staff who had been some of the most pleasant, helpful people we had ever met in all our travels, and then it was off to the airport.






Additional photos below
Photos: 72, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Munich Munich
Munich

Botanic Gardens
Munich Munich
Munich

Botanic Gardens
Munich Munich
Munich

Botanic Gardens
Munich Munich
Munich

Botanic Gardens
Munich Munich
Munich

Botanic Gardens
MunichMunich
Munich

Teddybear Museum
Munich Olympic ParkMunich Olympic Park
Munich Olympic Park

View from the Tower


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb