Munich Germany - Music to Our Ears


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
September 29th 2007
Published: January 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It is the last day of our stay in Munich and the sun is shining, presenting a most perfect day. Unlike the day before, which had miserable rain all day long. Our apartment is close to the Olympia Park, so we start out on a walk towards the tower. Somehow as close as it seems we were still so far away and figured out we needed to catch a bus. Olympia Park is quite impressive, with its abstract designs and its beautiful park setting with a large pond teaming with swans, ducks and other sorts of birds. We take trip to the top of the Olympia Tower and saw views all across Munich. Just days before, we were in Marienplatz at the top of Frauenkirche looking across Munich at Olympia Tower. Now we are looking at all the towering buildings popping up from city center. The BMW factory and museum is pretty much next door to the Park. Seeing it from the tower was enough for me.

Also at the top of the tower is a rock museum which we really enjoyed as our loves in life include traveling, photography and music. One of our favorite items was a signed
Olympia Tower-Rock MuseumOlympia Tower-Rock MuseumOlympia Tower-Rock Museum

Jim Morrison's signed shirt (by BK)
shirt by Jim Morrison of the Doors and Freddy Mercury’s tiny little leather pants. After spending some time at the top, we were ready for lunch. The Olympia cafeteria had roasted chickens - YUM!! Bill and I were going to share lunch, but not a roasted chicken, so we each got and thoroughly enjoyed our own. It was nice to sit outside, have a beer (or two...) and watch the people and wild life in the the park. It just could not have been a nicer day.

After lunch we took a walk around the park and one of my favorite moments was watching a little local German woman off the beaten path, feeding handful of food to all the swans and birds. She had a shawl on her head and big coat and I believe that must be a regular routine for her.

The day is getting shorter and we have more places to see and go. So we left Olympia Park and headed back to the city center to spend the afternoon in the English Garten which our experience and photos of this time is posted in our previous journal.

We left the English Garten just after sun set. We have a train to catch at 10:40pm, so we decided to get dinner and drinks in the Marienplatz area. As we are walking through the streets we were welcomed by a variety of live music entertainment. Our first musical encounter was in front of the Theatinerkirche where Ander Art Festival - concert was taking place. A Ukrainian band, Hadaymakay was playing and their sound was fun and lively that drew us in and we had to spend some time and watch. We enjoyed all the people dancing and having a great time to their festive style of music. Check them out in one of our posted videos and/or www.myspace.com/haydamaky.

Hunger controlling our next moves, we left the Ander Art Festival-Concert after a few songs and set out for food as we walk past the area of the concert, we could no longer hear the music of the concert and now were listening to the sounds of a lone violinist playing for change. As we pass this violinist, we see this guy walking slowly in a black cloak and big black hat like something out of the scary movies and he is carrying cicle. Never seen that before...we stayed on the other sid of the street to pass him.

We keep making our way towards Marienplatz and enjoyed window displays and this and that. We get to Marienplatz and it is alive with people and variety of groups of more musicians and performance artists playing for change and selling their CD's. We were most impressed with a 4-piece band playing big base and violins. The violinist was incredible and the blend of music by the group was beautiful. You can also see video posted in this blog.

We finally accomplished our food quest and was time to get back the apartment to pick up our stuff and get back to catch our train to Amsterdam. When we are ready to board our train, we meet a couple of guys traveling from Boston who end up being in the cabin above us on this double decker train. Our train compartment was much smaller than our first over night train. It was time for bed anyway and we ready for a new change pace and experience. We will be in Amsterdam in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 65, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Olympia Tower-Rock MuseumOlympia Tower-Rock Museum
Olympia Tower-Rock Museum

signed Who guitar & city of munich reflection
Olympia Tower-Rock MuseumOlympia Tower-Rock Museum
Olympia Tower-Rock Museum

Nirvana signed poster (by BK)


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 88; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb