Fairyland Castles


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
August 6th 2005
Published: August 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We just made a quick stop in Munich on our way to Interlaken. We were only here for one day so we took a day trip to Fussen where there are 2 castles, the Schloss Neuschwanstein and the Schloss Hohenschwangau. King Ludwig II built these two castles. The smaller castle was used as a summer home for the family and you should see the views from this castle, they are gorgeous, you look out and see rows of mountains and at the base of the mountain is a crystal clear lake that is 180 feet deep. The King used a telescope from the first built castle to watch and supervise his second castle being built. Some funny tidbits about this King, he is thought to be gay because he never married and kept postponing his engagement and marriage. He would call in his soldiers and demand they bathed with him to protect him!! pretty funny. Also, he was an only child and his parents did not let him play with other children, so he was very spoiled and then he was said to have gone mad by the age of 24 and this is when he began building castles, but died dead broke. The second castle actually inspired Walt Disney to design the Disneyland Castle. This was the really cool castle. You can take a carriage ride up to it or walk, we walked which was also nice and very steep! We have heard though, on a cloudy day when you come around the last bend before seeing the castle, it looks as though the castle is floating in the clouds and this would be your first view of the castle. It is built up on the top of this mountain,so it sticks out very much and is why it gives the image of floating on the clouds. The inside was very impressive as well. There was so much detail, many paintings and extravagant furniture and such. Then, there is a bridge called Marys Bridge and from that you get this fantastic view of the entire castle as well as the surrounding mountains and lakes. The bridge is over a waterfall that looks like it would be at least a 300 to 500 foot drop, it sent tinglys through our feet the whole time we were standing on it!!! Plus the boards bent a bit when you walked on them so that made us a bit uneasy, but of course it is safe and reinforced. It was definately worth the stop in Munich.

Unfortunately, today it is raining so we really didnt get to see any of Munich, other than from the train station. We would have loved to stay here longer, it seems like a great city. Very nice and clean and the people seem very nice as well.

Our train leaves in less than a half hour to Interlaken, Switzerland. A town nestled in the middle of the Swiss Alps. It is also known for its adventure sports so Ive seriously been thinking about skydiving again, it would be a great site! I have been trying to convince Justin but the thought of jumping out of an airplane is still a bit unsettling to him, as it is to most...we need some words of encouragment!!! hehe We might do some kayaking or something like that as well.

Take Care...hope all is well

Beth and Justin

Advertisement



6th August 2005

WOW
Wow - what an amazing trip - we are just getting up to speed on your journal entries, it must be a great experience to be over there and seeing what you are. The two of you are so smart to do something like this - something everyone would love to do, but just never have the nerve to jut go... congratulations! Justin.... Wade is with you when it comes to sky diving - he doesn't understand why anyone would jump out of a perfectly good airplane - me on the other hand - you only live once, so you may and well enjoy yourself (this is my new found ambition speaking :) ) Take care - Wade, Stacy and Olivia
6th August 2005

Skydive
JUMP, Justin JUMP.
6th August 2005

your head
I hope you didn't turn into a neo nazi skin head with your bald head! Hope your having fun...go sky diving!!!!
7th August 2005

Lindsey
I think your home sick and miss your mom......
9th August 2005

Mary's Bridge
If you can go accross a bridge you can jump out of an airplane. Where is the Justin I know? The one that drop kicked a hole in my garage and used garbage bags for his landing pad. Jump.. and show me the Barthman. Love Dustin

Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb