A Day in Amberg, Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Amberg
December 1st 2021
Published: December 10th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Amberg is a nice little city. We love the old city and the church on the mountain.

After breakfast of camembert, bread, yogurt and a leisurely visit over coffee with Dieter and Inge, we were ready to stroll about the old city. I was especially hungry for some German sausages and gluhwein from the Christmas market. Of course, the Christmas markets were canceled this year but food booths are set up for the traditional sausages and wine so we did not need to miss out entirely

Unfortunately, we found that the sausages being sold all contained gluten. Alas, I was not to eat the good German food. We found a little restaurant nearby that had outdoor seating with heaters and they made me some fried eggs and potatoes, not really sausage, but it was food.

Dieter and Inge wanted to go up to the cathedral on the hill after lunch. It is in a forest setting with walking trails all over. There was a bit of snow left on the ground so it made for a really beautiful walk. Dieter and Inge go there for walks during Covid shutdowns. And during the winter there is lots of snow so children sled down the trails and parents’ hike.

We visited the cathedral where the nativity scene was set up for the first week. This scene was showing when the angel came and told Mary that she would have a child. The scenes change each week progressing to the birth on Christmas week. We’d never heard of this before and it was quite interesting.

From the cathedral we went for a nice long walk thru the forest. The setting was cold but beautiful. We felt so refreshed after walking in the cold forest air.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0159s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb