Travel Challenges


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Amberg
November 30th 2021
Published: December 8th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Travel can be a challenge with auto-immune issues. Mine is celiac so I have some limitations with food. These limitations can be worse in some countries, like Germany. Other countries like Finland and Italy are not so bad where nearly all foods in restaurants are gluten free or have gluten free options.

Before we left home, I had Dale pick up some organic ham, I had some spinach tortillas leftover from Jen and we had 2 slices of Raclette. I packed those along with almonds from Justin, just in case there would be no gluten free food on the plane.

As it turned out, there was no gluten free food on any flight, except for some sorbet and yogurt. I ordered wine on 2 of the flights, made myself sandwich wraps and tried to sleep.

We got into Frankfurt and got thru the airport with only a small delay in customs, answering questions of the travels planned. We found a travel place where we bought our tickets to Nurnberg, where Dieter was to meet us. The lady at the travel desk said that the train was delayed but that it would come to track 5. All great.

We went to track 5 and soon after a train came along. Our thought was that the train wasn’t delayed so long. We hopped on the train and off we went, unfortunately, not to Nurnberg but to Stuttgart.

The train conductor came along and said, oops, this is not going to Nurnberg, but it is easiest to go on to the end of the line then get on the train to Nurnberg. He made a notation on our tickets so that the next conductor would know we were to go to Nurnberg. Poor Dieter, he now had an extra 2 hours before we would arrive. We usually ask other people to confirm where the train is going, but this time we just hopped on.

By the time we got to Amberg we were starving. But to get into restaurants one must be, not only vaccinated, which we are, but also have a negative Covid test, which we did not have. Dieter’s girlfriend Inge was kind enough to throw dinner together where we stuffed ourselves.

After food and wine, beer for Dale, we were ready to sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.512s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb