Germany 2022 part VII - a pig museum


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Stuttgart
July 19th 2022
Published: March 8th 2023
Edit Blog Post

PaintingPaintingPainting

In Germany we found an awesome museum well worth writing about namely a pig museum.

50,000 pig related things in one go





"Have you seen the little piggies

Crawling in the dirt?

And for all the little piggies

Life is getting worse

Always having dirt to play around in" /The Beatles



Museums that are focused on a narrow subject we refer to as theme museums. We have over the years visited several museums that qualify into this category. For instance we have fond memories of a teddy bear museum in Skagen in Denmark. That was many years before we joined Travelblog so we don't have any blog entry showing that museum. But when we visited a toilet museum in Delhi we could not stop ourselves from writing about it. Also the Museum of Illusions in Vilnius we have mentioned in a blog and Body Worlds in Amsterdam was also fascinating enough to make us write about it.



Last year we wrote about a petrol museum in Älvsbyn in Sweden. We then mentioned that we this year had plans on visiting and writing about another interesting theme museum. Our plans did not pan out the way we hoped they would. Life and work put a halt on the
Plush animalPlush animalPlush animal

The Pig Museum is in the city Stuttgart and has by Guinness Book of World Records been recognised as the largest pig museum in the world.
trip we were planning then. So the museum we had in mind a year ago we have put on hold until next year.



But luckily enough we can still keep our promise of writing a blog about a fun theme museum. In Germany we found an awesome museum well worth writing about namely a pig museum.



The Pig Museum is in the city Stuttgart and has by Guinness Book of World Records been recognised as the largest pig museum in the world. According to their homepage the museum has 27 different rooms, plus an outdoor area, and holds more than 50,000 different items. Some items are small such as stamps and keyrings. Most items are a bit larger though and include for example mittens, paintings and plush animals. In the outdoor area they have the largest piece in the entire collection - a tram painted pink and with a pig head in one end and a tail in the other.



The true greatness of the museum is in the incredible variety of things that are on display. There are film posters, board games, rocking pigs (rocking horse in the shape of a
Mr HamMr HamMr Ham

According to their homepage the museum has 27 different rooms, plus an outdoor area, and holds more than 50,000 different items.
pig), a radiator and on and on and on.



This museum is based on a private collection put together by Erika Wilhelmer. She must really have loved pigs and any pig related stuff to have been able to assemble such a massive collection of pigorabilia. We guess that this collection started as a fun project but later developed into something that best can be described as an obsession.



At the pig museum they have a restaurant. We did not visit it but we guess you can order pork there. But maybe Erika Wilhelmer loved pigs so much that she enforced a vegetarian cuisine only.



By the way, the pig museum is housed in an old slaughterhouse. We find that quite fitting.



When we were writing this blog entry we googled "Erika Wilhelmer". We then learned that she passed away only a few days after we visited her museum. The question is, will the collection still grow now that its owner is no longer with us? We think so. We think people will donate their own pig related things to the museum and by doing so will keep the collection growing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Pig with cartoonsPig with cartoons
Pig with cartoons

The true greatness of the museum is in the incredible variety of things that are on display.
Piggy banksPiggy banks
Piggy banks

This museum is based on a private collection put together by Erika Wilhelmer.
Egg timersEgg timers
Egg timers

Erika Wilhelmer, the person behind the collection displayed in the museum, must really have loved pigs and any pig related stuff to have been able to assemble such a massive collection of pigorabilia.
Car hoodCar hood
Car hood

We guess that this collection started as a fun project but later developed into something that best can be described as an obsession.
Piggy banksPiggy banks
Piggy banks

Will the collection still grow now that its owner is no longer with us?


13th March 2023

One piggie went to market
This is fascinating! And I have many questions... but foremost is whether the restaurant is a pork free zone?! I'm guessing it is. I had read your blogs on museums before but never realised that obscure museums were a thing of interest. If you make it to Meteora in Greece, there's a Mushroom Musuem! We were curious, but not curious enough to pay the entry fee :)
18th March 2023

Obscure museums
We visit obscure museums because we find that they often are quite good. It is a fun way to spend an hour or so. /Ake
13th March 2023

Quirky museum
We've discussed quirky museums in the past and it looks as if you've found another one.
18th March 2023

It was awesome
We really liked that museum. Some day we hope to be able to visit the Banana Museum in Sierksdorf as well. We didn't have time on this trip unfortunately. /Ake
18th March 2023

Pigorabilia
Pigorabilia - I think you invented a new word there Ake, lol! Who'd have thought there could be so many pig-related items. Your visit must have been quirky and fun. I wonder if they had a favourite gave of mine there, "Pass the Pigs". Great to read you were able to fit one of your theme museums into this trip 😊
21st March 2023

Pass the Pigs
It would totally make sense for them to have the game Pass the Pigs. I would be surprised if they don't. /Ake

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb