Heidelberg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Heidelberg
September 12th 2010
Published: October 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Trip 1: Heidelberg (September 12th, 2010)



Heidelberg was the first trip we took. It wasn't far b/c it is actually the city we are living near. Heidelberg has a special meaning to us b/c it is where we got engaged in 2008 while visiting our friends Mark and Dustin. We were lucky enough to arrive in Germany 2 days before our 1st year wedding anniversary. So September 12th we headed to the castle. We kind of tried to retrace our steps on the day we got engaged. We actually remembered most places we stopped. We took the bus all the way to the bismark platz (town center). Unfortunately it was Sunday so most of the shop were closed but we still did some window shopping. Around lunch time we started looking for the pizza restaurant we ate at in 2008 and luckily found it. Frank and I shared a tart and then continued on our way up to the Heidelberg castle. The castle sits above the town center and there a couple of ways to get up there. You can take the tram, walk up steps or walk up a steep uphill road. We choose the steep uphill road. :O) It was a little brutal but we survived. Once we reached the castle we wandered around and took pictures. Later on in the afternoon we made our way back down to the bismark platz. We finished the day off by having a large dinner and headed back to our hotel.

Brief history of Heidelberg Castle from Wikipedia

The Heidelberg Castle (in German language named: Heidelberger Schloss) is a famous ruin in Germany and landmark of Heidelberg. The castle ruins are among the most important Renaissance structures north of the Alps.

The castle has only been partially rebuilt since its demolition in the 17th and 18th centuries. It is located 80 metres (260 ft) up the northern part of the Königstuhl hillside, and thereby dominates the view of the old downtown. It is served by an intermediate station on the Heidelberger Bergbahn funicular railway that runs from Heidelberg's Kornmarkt to the summit of the Königstuhl.

The earliest castle structure was built before AD 1214 and later expanded into 2 castles circa 1294; however, in 1537, a lightning-bolt destroyed the upper castle. The present structures had been expanded by 1650, before damage by later wars and
FrankFrankFrank

Pizza place we ate at after we got engaged in 2008
fires. In 1764, another lightning-bolt destroyed some rebuilt sections.




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

TiffanyTiffany
Tiffany

Pizza place we ate at after we got engaged in 2008
Looking  across the riverLooking  across the river
Looking across the river

This was in one of the towers in the castle.


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb