Background: As Europe's largest economy and most populous nation, Germany remains a key member of the continent's economic, political, and defense organizations. European power struggles immersed Germany in two devastating World Wars in the first half of the 20th century and left the country occupied by the victorious Allied powers of the US, UK, France, and the Soviet Union in 1945. With the advent of the Cold War, two German states were formed in 1949: the western Federal Republic of Germany (FRG) and the eastern German Democratic Republic (GDR). The democratic FRG embedded itself in key Western economic and security organizations, the EC, which became the EU, and NATO, while the Communist GDR was on the front line of the Soviet-led Warsaw Pact. The decline of the USSR and the end of the Cold War allowed for German unification in 1990. Since then, Germany has expended considerable funds to bring Eastern productivity and wages up to Western standards. In January 1999, Germany and 10 other EU countries introduced a common European exchange currency, the euro.
Photos from Heidelberg
Blogs from Heidelberg
Latest Blogs from Heidelberg
- August 30th 2012 Heidelberg - wunderschön :-)
by Words: 90 Photos: 10
- August 6th 2012 Farewell to Heidelberg!
by Words: 55 Photos: 3
- August 5th 2012 Off to Heidelberg
by Words: 163 Photos: 42
- July 28th 2012 Reisevorbereitungen
by Words: 377 Photos: 0
- July 14th 2012 Visit to Heidelberg
by Words: 876 Photos: 5
- April 20th 2012 Sensations
by Words: 456 Photos: 3
- September 9th 2011 Chapter 4 - DAY 3 - Amsterdam to Heildelberg
by Words: 406 Photos: 3
- September 6th 2011 Oh, Heidelberg! how I loathe thee...
by Words: 2441 Photos: 68
- June 19th 2011 Heidelberg
by Words: 402 Photos: 11
- April 2nd 2011 Heidelberg Zoo
by Words: 731 Photos: 128
- March 13th 2011 Charming Heidelberg
by Words: 186 Photos: 1
- December 26th 2010 Welcome to Germany.
by Words: 394 Photos: 14
- October 15th 2010 Heidelberg
by Words: 793 Photos: 15
- October 13th 2010 The Language Barrier
by Words: 1065 Photos: 6
- October 1st 2010 Climb Every Mountain
by Words: 1084 Photos: 0
- September 12th 2010 Heidelberg
by Words: 400 Photos: 21
- August 14th 2010 Watch Our for Pirates!
by Words: 724 Photos: 10
- June 20th 2010 No, really
by Words: 409 Photos: 10
- May 5th 2010 "Herzlichen Glueckwunsch, Sie werden auf Weltreise gehen"
by Words: 80 Photos: 0
- April 8th 2010 Heidelberg 4-8 April 2010
by Words: 422 Photos: 7