Heidelberg for the day


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Heidelberg
November 18th 2007
Published: November 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hi all,

Sunday morning Jessie and I got up early to head north to Heidelberg in the state (region) of Baden-Wurttemberg. Its about 45 minute drive from Frankfurt, when you are going 100+ mph on the autobahn that is! Several cars were smoking past us, probably hitting 140 or 150 on the speedometer. Dont even realize how fast you are going though, because you are just sticking with the flow of traffic.

Heidelberg is truly adorable. Quaint, picturesque, and just what you would picture when thinking of a classic little European town. Much of Germany was destroyed during WWII, yet Heidelberg was one of the few, if any, that was left in tact. Soaring, beautiful gothic style churches are all over, surrounding by weaving cobblestone pedestrian streets and small little alley ways that are populated with cute shops, and plenty of restaurants, cafes, and cozy biergartens and breweries. Much of the day was spent strolling through this area, admiring the breathtaking architecture and popping in and out of eateries and bars.

Jessie has a friend from college who lives in Heidelberg and is a true pro when it comes to giving tours! He met up with us and went above and beyond telling little stories about the history of Heidelberg, and taking us to special sites that we would never have found on our own.. and translating a lot of German plaques for us!

We also climbed and climbed to get to a large very, very, old castle called Heidelberg Castle (original, I know). When I say old.. I mean old like around 1200, and thats the fabulous thing about Europe.. everything is SO old, at least that that wasnt destroyed over time. The castle is very beautiful and hovers over the town, you can actually see it from almost any point in the town Id say.

Heidelberg is also a college town, I think its the University of Heidelberg and is very, very, prominent. Think.. a German version of Harvard.

Thats all for Heidelberg. I took about 70 pictures there, but I cant post them now. Check back on all of these blogs for pictures later!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb