St Pancras, Eurostar and Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
May 17th 2013
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 48.8566, 2.35097

Well we are sitting in one of the finest Stations in the world. Does it matter that we are 3 hours early!!!

The running order for today is:

Eurostar Train 9024 to Paris Gare Du Nord. Dep: 12:25 ARR: 15:47

Paris Gare De L'Est to Berlin Hbf. Dep: 20:05 Arr: 08:28 1 day (Sat 18th)
Economy Double

Obsure head gear alert: Brazalian woman wearing strange head gear in Eurostar departure lounge... please see photo...what does it do...and why? The husband also sporting a multi-coloured fabric tamishanter

Observation: Eurostar buffet service poor. Ran out of cheese and ham sandwiches (oh no!) and very expensive. Not surprising passengers eating home made sandwiches. It will have to a croc monsieur at Gare De L'Est.

Scenery check: Northern France very green and lush. Passing small villages at high speed.

Weather: I suspect the tinted windows give a jaundiced view but it looks a bit drizzly.

Passenger Update: Boring academic student types in seats in front trying to impress each other. We are sitting next to the Brazilian couple with the weird headgear. I'm really not interested in hearing about the "spectrum of life" being discussed in front of me.

Why cant't they just talk about the pretty farm houses and the
Why and what does it do....Why and what does it do....Why and what does it do....

Very worrying headgear!
tractors outside the window?

The Brazilian couple tucked into overstuffed salami sandwiches which I suspect were constructed from stolen food from their hotel breakfast buffet...

Theory: The Brazilian headgear is probably a radio transmitter...

Progress Report: Train slowing - weather improving as we enter the outskirts of Paris. The typical French apartment blocks are now appearing on both sides. I've just seen my first pair of window shutters. Why are there so may electrical pylons in Framce.

Gare Du Nord: We made our way out of the main entrance and found ourselves in a sea of pimps and possible drug dealers! Why are there so many sinister hoody types standing around on mobile phones and handing each other cash. This was not the Paris I remember. We quickly made our way to Gare De L'Est. It was 1500 hrs and our train leaves at 2005. Hmmmm.

Update: Its 1800hrs and we have been sitting in the same cafe for what seems like several weeks. We are given suspicious looks by the staff but have spend over 20euros on jambon et fromage baguettes and a bottle of Orangina which Cathy knocked over my new trousers so I looked like I had a bladder problem!

On the train: Yeah finally aboard. Modern, sophisticated but made for shrivelled midgets with Ryan Air Luggage. Eventually we arranged our clobber so that I could turn around and get out of the door. Mine was the top bunk involving crampons and oxygen. At 20:15 the train pulls away and heads east for the "fatherland". Only Nuermburger Sausages washed down by Becks Beer would suffice. Nervous about drinking too much liquid as a visit to the loo will involve a Houdini like procedure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb