Beaujolais wine tour


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
June 28th 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.7495, 4.83439

Our next stop was going to be Macon. Because of the high water we were unable to take the ship to our last city. Biking trans ported us by motorcoach to Burgundy wine country. They say that when you see the olive trees and lavendar you know you're in Provence and when you see the white cows you know you're in Burgundy. Well, today we saw the white cows. We drove through some beautiful country with many vineyards. We stopped at a beautiful palace like structure with an extensive wine cellar where we tasted several different wines and learned about the history and climate that is so favorable to growing grapes.

After a winetasting we traveled to the medieval village of Cluny. The Benedictine Abbey was founded in 910 by William 1 the Pios, Duke of Aquitaine and Count of Auvergne. The Abby was mostly destroyed, but some of the structure still remains so you get a an idea of its previous splendor. Today, one transept of the 12th-century Abbey church remains. The site also includes 15th century Abbots residences, 18th-century convent buildings, gardens and a museum. The town itself with its cobblestone streets and historic structures was amazing.

We had our farewell dinner tonight on the Viking Heimdal. Tomorrow we head for Paris on the bullet train and our new ship The Viking Ranier.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Horses in front of our bus. Horses in front of our bus.
Horses in front of our bus.

These horses escaped from their pasture and our bus followed them for a while until they finally turned off a side road.


Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb