Arles city tour and excursion to Unspoiled Camargu


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
June 23rd 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

City tour or ArlesCity tour or ArlesCity tour or Arles

Our guide for the day
Geo: 43.9486, 4.80597

Today we did a walking tour of Arles and an excursion to unspoiled Camargue. This small town located on the banks of the river Rhone is a mix of ancient and traditional and modern. This UNESCO world heritage site has beautifully preserved Roman architecture and numerous Romanesque monuments. Excavation at the amphitheater uncovered many artifacts including the Venus d Aries which is now displayed at the Louvre. Arles was critical to the emergence of Christianity in France; the cities bishopric began with Saint Trophimus in 25 A.D. The church that bears his name, built between the 12th and 15th centuries, is a beautiful example of Romanesque architecture. Vincent Van Gogh who lived here for a while immortalized in vibrant colors many of the cities highlights. Next we took an excursion to unspoiled Camargue, the delta of the River Rhone and one of Europe's finest nature reserves, with its unspoiled landscape and wildlife known for its wild flamingos, black Bulls and white horses. We had lunch at the ranch and then headed back to the Viking Delling. My diet is slowly unraveling.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Cafe painted by Van Gogh Cafe painted by Van Gogh
Cafe painted by Van Gogh

When Van Gogh originally painted this cafe it was white, but he painted it yellow. This cafe owner repainted the cafe yellow to match the picture.
Unspoiled CamargueUnspoiled Camargue
Unspoiled Camargue

White Flamingos
CamargueCamargue
Camargue

Black Bulls
CamargueCamargue
Camargue

White Horse of Camargue


Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0163s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb