Avignon and the Rhone River


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
June 22nd 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.9486, 4.80597

<b>Avignon and the Rhone River</b>

The Rhone River is a 505 mile long river that starts its journey as a glacier in the Swiss Alps, at an elevation of about 6,000 feet.  It flows through Lake Geneva, then south of Lyon.  The river cuts through the Rhone Valley, which shares its climate with the Mediterranean.  This is where our journey begins.  After a buffet lunch upon our arrival, we took a walking tour of Avignon with a local guide.  Avignon is known for antiques, exquisite fabrics and clothing and wonderful kitchenware, especially copper pots.  Right in the middle of town is Les Halles, the site of a market place since the Middle Ages.  It still features many small family-owned shops selling wonderful French groceries and delicacies and it is packed with locals, as are its cafes.  After our formal tour, Bob and I took a train tour through the historical town and gardens.  We made our way back to our boat and ended the evening with a wonderful dinner.  I had Sea Bass and Bob ordered steak.  We have met so many nice people from all over...even a couple from Seabrook.  Small world.  We are very, very tired.  We have been awake for over 24 hours and it is difficult to keep eyes open.  Our room is smaller than anticipated; but, very well organized.  I will attempt to upload some photos of our tour so you can get a flavor of the historic and beautiful buildings, cobblestone roads and stately cathedrals. The wifi is weak so no promises. Might want to check out Bob's Facebook for great pics.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb