NORMANDY - CIDER AND CHEESE AND HONFLUER


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
May 31st 2013
Published: May 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

ON THE ROADON THE ROADON THE ROAD

ROUNDABOUT
LE HAVRE TO BREUIL TO HONFLEUR, FRANCE

The day was overcast with the threat of rain. I carried the Holland America provided umbrella with me, but I never needed it. The short ride to the first stop was through the countryside and fields of canola (for the oil) and livestock were abundant. Most intersections the bus navigated were roundabouts, very popular around here. The name of my tour was “A taste of Normandy: Cheese and Cider”.

Normandy is famous for Calvados - its superb apple brandy. I visited the Chateau du Breuil for a tour of its distillery and a taste of its calvados and its aperitif Pommeau and some of its cheeses. The chateau was built in the 16th and 17th centuries and the former home of various noble families. The cider was especially good and had an ABV of 4.5%! (MISSING)It paired very well with the camembert, pont Lévesque and ¾ livarot cheeses.

I then went to Honfleur, a picturesque fishing port which was the base for France’s 17th century voyages of colonization and the birthplace of the Impressionist and Romantic art movements. I visited the old harbor and visited 15th century wooden Church of Sainte Catherine.

The trip back to the ship required crossing the Seine via a long bridge. The Seine is quite wide at this point.

Tomorrow, Belgium.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



4th June 2013

Fabulous!!!
So enjoying your blog. The pics are very good--your becoming quite the photographer. Keep them coming!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb