Day #12 - Marseille to Cannes, France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 23rd 2012
Published: July 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day #12 - Marseille to Cannes, France

Wow, today we took a beautiful 90 minute drive through mountains and along the sea from Marseille to Cannes, France. If you are not familiar with Cannes, it is the host of the internationally known Cannes film festival that attracts the who's who of the entertainment world. This place really is the heart of the French Riviera. It is also where the rich and famous come to play. I knew that coming here and was expected to be looked down upon or perhaps feel uncomfortable around all the wealth and snootiness, but really it is very laid back here and very pretty. I can see why the rich have chosen this location to build their Mediterranean playground. The water is beautiful, the beaches are gorgeous, and there is so much to see and do. The nice thing about this town is that it is not very big. You can walk across most of the main area in about 20 minutes from end to end, maybe 30 at the most. The town goes back several blocks of tourist area but you can see most of the highlights of town in 3 or 4 hours.

We started of by eating lunch. Sydney had duck and I had pizza. We both enjoyed it very much, I however did not like her duck... I really don't like duck at all, it is fatty and chewy. We then did some shopping and took a look the film festival area and the theatres. There is a walk of fame where celebs have their hands in the concrete. We walked along the beach for about 30 minutes after that. On our way back from the beach Sydney saw a women doing African hair weaves and decided she wanted to get it done.... OMG.... what was she thinking. It took her two hours to get her hair done and it is all braided...100% in African style braids. The lady did a wonderful job on her hair and it does look good but I cant believe she did it. Syd hates it so much and wish she hadn't got it done. We actually came back to the hotel because she really wanted to take the braids out of her hair. Poor girl. I don't think it looks too bad at all but she is not happy with it and I know better than to argue with a girl who is having hair issues, so I am now writing the blog, and she is undoing 3 hours of braiding 😊

There is an old town here as well, but most of the town is modern. Historically Cannes was a small fishing village and really hasn't become the place it is today until more recent times. Now it is a haven for shoppers (so many high end stores) It is not unusual to see hats for 500 or more Euros, there are also wonderful restaurants and of course the sea and beaches. We got lucky and are hear on a Saturday when they have an open air market which was kind of cool. We also were very lucky to come on a day when they are having a fireworks competition. In the summer for 6 weeks every Saturday they hold a pyrotechnics competition and today is the day that China competes. I have seen things like this before in Vancouver and it was wonderful there, I am hoping for as good or better from Cannes. We will go out for dinner shortly and then stake out a good spot on the beach. That is all for now, as we need to get going for dinner, hopefully Syd is happy with here hair.... Will tell you all about the fireworks when we get back.

Those were the best fireworks ever. Lying on a beach, watching fireworks for an hour, with a bottle of wine and my daughter not sure how to top that. There must have been several hundred thousand people on the beaches of Cannes and yet there was still lots of room to spread out and watch the show. If you every get a chance to watch an international fireworks competition be sure to do it. It is spectacular.

Our Assessment of Cannes

Kyle - I was expecting a lot and my expectations were exceeded. 9.5/10 (10/10 if you have lots of money). A fantastic easy going place to spend a few days in some nice weather.

Syd - "Pretty water" 9.8/10


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb