First day in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
June 2nd 2012
Published: June 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Woke unbearably early (6.30am) to catch my half day tour to the Palace of Versailles. Late night internet habits do have their drawback..... After a forgettable hotel breakfast of cornflakes, unappetising pastries and machine made coffee (ugh) it was off in a mini bus to join the rest of the world at Versailles. Amazing to see the crowds; over 3000 people a day pour through to wonder at the overly ornate rooms, gilt covered everything, frescoes covering every surface (including ceilings) and of course the sprawling, precision planted gardens. I gazed at the Queens bed chamber, with the heavy brocade bed cover and richly decorated four poster bed, wondering how anyone could possibly have felt at ease in such a room.

Wandering outside into the gardens (we tourists are herded carefully through the gift shop first), it was time to take in the magical classical music that played quite loudly from classy and well-hidden speakers. That part of the whole Versailles experience was the best; blue skies, green lawns, fountains sparkling and the glorious music welling up from nowhere in particular.

Back in the city of Paris I eventually found my way back to my hotel on the metro, which certainly brings together a wide cross-section of life.... Needing some groceries to make dinner (budget getting tighter now) it was time to check out the narrow local streets nearby; I found a treasure trove of shops that just fitted the bill. A couple of good fruit and veg stores, a patisserie( for the staple croissant au chocolat), hairdresser, Fench version of Vinnies, massage therapist, and the perennial female delight - the manicure salon complete with back massage chairs for pedicures. Needing no prompting I was soon sitting back, savouring a wonderful experience and ending up with newly painted toenails. Just around the corner was a small park, with several locals engrossed in a game of boules. Frenchmen know how to treat a lady and I was soon invited to sit down, explain why I was not wearing a wedding ring, and then have my photo taken with two of my new admirers.

Dinner was delicious: fresh figs, crusty bread, cheese, olives, cherries and of course chocolate for dessert. However the best thing was a cup of filter coffee made by me! Afterwards there was even time to unpack my suitcase and find the laundry downstairs? Even the city of love demands that we attend to the basic chores of life....


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.287s; Tpl: 0.04s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0964s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb