Day 11-12 Provonce France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
June 27th 2011
Published: June 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 11
Today will be a quick update and then I will try and add photos tonight. Today we left Nice early in the morning and drove to a little coastal town called Cassis. It is a charming little town that is know for these rocky inlets along the coast. We had a great time wandering the city and checking out the great little shops and restaurants. The highlight was a nice boat ride out to the Calanques, the rocky inlets. The best way to describe it is Lake Powell, just white cliffs with pine trees. Each little inlet is a twisting canyon with the clearest water you have ever seen. It was an awesome little boat tour. We stayed in Cassis a bit longer than planned because we enjoyed it so much, then continued on to Aix-En-Provonce. We had a lovely walk through town then continued on to Avignon.

Day 12
Today was a long but awesome day. We started with a walking tour of the popes palace complex here in Avignon. We had a very good guide and I think it was one of the best walking tours of the trip. After a bit of lunch we drove out to Pont du Gard. This is an old Roman Aqueduct that spans a big gorge. It is the second tallest Roman structure still surviving. Upon arrival we all made a direct march down to the river where there was a 20 foot cliff right below the structure where people were jumping into the river. Needless to say our group spent about an hour taking photos and videos of each other jump off the rock. Almost everyone jumped. The highlight was Josh attempting a front flip (to match mine) that ended with a spectacular belly flop. We then walked around the park admiring the ancient structure and marveling at how it has lasted this long. Many photos will be added for this event later. After that we continued on to Niems where we took a very informative tour of the giant Roman Amphitheater. We then grabbed a snack and walked through the fountain gardens. It was very nice. Upon arrival back in Avignon the adults of the tour (with two kids) went and ate a place right in the shadow of the Popes Palace. Very good food and great setting. All in all it was an awesome day. Today we make our way north to Lyon. Hopefully we have internet tonight and I will post all the photos of these two days.
till then..........

Advertisement



Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb