Verdon Gorge


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 10th 2010
Published: July 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

8 July



Drive along the Verdon Gorge, more narrow twisty roads. The scenery is amazingly beautiful, sometimes we are able to see the green/blue of the river as we climb higher and higher. Well I am because Brian is too busy driving, ah but you can’t have everything!


Eventually we get our first glimpse of the Lac de Sainte Croix, stunning, we pull over and take a proper look. We look down on hundreds of people in paddle boats, canoes, kayaks etc. Brian and I are thinking oh my god it’s busy and Calum decides he wants to get a canoe and paddle up the gorge. It’s another roasting hot day and there are cars, campers, caravans and people everywhere. Have a closer look at the lake and find a campsite for a couple of nights opposite the lake.


The plan was to get up and be down at the lake for 9am to hire a canoe for 4 hours and paddle up the gorge with a picnic. We eventually arrive at 11am and 15 minutes later we are in the canoe and off, I am at the front, then Calum and Brian at the back. As we paddle up out of the lake, under the bridge and up the gorge the place is heaving there are paddle boats, canoes and people everywhere swimming and jumping off of the rocks.


It is breathtakingly beautiful (if a bit noisy). The further up we paddle the quieter it gets until we reach a bend in the river where the river is shallower and flowing faster. There are mainly canoes and kayaks with only a few paddle boats. We have to paddle hard to reach the opposite bank of the river. We clamber out and decide to walk with the canoe further up stream to get a fast ride back down the river.


We find a secluded spot and enjoy the peace and quiet for a while before we set off back down stream towards the hordes. After we return the canoe we have a brief rest then rent a paddle boat for an hour and paddle back into the gorge. We rescue a couple of young lads in a kayak and then the boys have a swim under the freezing waterfall.

It’s back to the camper tired and hot but happy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb