Carcassone to Mt Blanc 20/10 - 22/10


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 8th 2010
Published: July 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

20/10/06

Across the boarder to France to Carcassone, a really neat fairytale walled city. We camped at Caming de Cite, which is close to the wall the wall is dramatically illuminated at night.

21/06/10

Walked up the path to the old cite of Carcassone. It was impressive with two rampart walls, 52 stone towers, moats and drawbridges. Apparently it has europes largest city fortifications.

After this we drove for a long time towards Mt Blanc. Largely on toll roads with a 130km/hr speed limit. It got too late to make it to Mt Blanc so we stopped over in Albertville which is within the French Alps and also has a large river running through it. They were having a music festival that day, so there was dancing, singing, bands playing in the streets. Very fun and lively. We had dinner at a quieter restaurant and I ordered Frogs legs! They tasted pretty good, a bit like fish. The bones were a bit annoying though!

22/06/10

Today we drove for an hour to Chamonix, a lovely town in Mt Blanc and at the base of the mountains. It also had the worlds highest (not longest) cable car. It was a lovely warm day but clouds were covering the tops of the peaks. Therefore we only caught the cablecar half way up. Where we caught it too, there was still some snow about and lovely views of the mountains and the valley and town below. We had a hot drink at the bar on the mountain then caught the cablecar back too Charmonix where we had lunch and finally brought a gas cooker. The particular cooker we brought can use any type of gas e.g. petrol, diesal, butane.
We then carried on to Switzerland


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb