Gorge(ous)


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
June 29th 2008
Published: June 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After our great week on Canal Du Midi we were blessed with more waterside activities.

We moved on to La Melene a beautiful small town up in the hills and with the Tarn River running through it. The weather was still cool but the camping location right next to the river was superb. Carl and Jack went paddling down the river to the Gorge Du Tarn. We would have stayed longer, but the weather beat us and it started to rain. We felt we may as well travel on with our intention being to go to the volcano area of the Auvergne region. The rain still came down and the volcanos were not visible due to mist and rain.We left the area a little disappointed.

The weather finally improved and we enjoyed a day in Puys En Vellay, where we walked up many steps to a small church on a rocky hill. The entire church was carved out of Stone.

Next stop was Vallon Pont D’Arc, again camped close to a river. This time the River Ardeche. We enjoyed some leisurely days swimming by the river and Carl and Maddycanoed down the gorge.They had a great 7 hours
La MeleneLa MeleneLa Melene

River Tarn
on the gorge and had a ball going through the continual flow of small rapids.

Our water location then moved on to Lakes. We spent some great days camped on LakeSaint Croix. The whole family had a great day paddling on the Verdon Gorge which isFrances version of the Grand Canyon. The views were fantastic and the water a bright blue colour. It was whilst here that we realised this was the halfway point of our trip andi t was great reflecting on all the wonderful things we have done and achieved so far and that there would be many more to come. The weather is now a great temperature 28- 30,which makes being near water ideal.

We moved to an area on Lake Poncon but just for one night, the view of the mountainrange from our campsite was superb, as this is in the French Alps region.

One more night in France camped by Lake Annecy, which saw us travel through a 12km tunnel on the Italian side and then back into France.

Everyone has thoroughly enjoyed our French experience, and to celebrate we had to buy just one more baguette and some of those wonderful chocolate éclairs, which are the childrens’ favourite.

Au Revoir France.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Puys En VallayPuys En Vallay
Puys En Vallay

Stone Church On Hill
Piscine PlagePiscine Plage
Piscine Plage

Great luncxh stop, manmade pool beach


2nd July 2008

im jealous
that water looks awesome its only going to be 13 degrees here today cant believe your 1/2 way already. Hi kids, i dont know if i would trust dad giving me a haircut

Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb