Short Breaks and Skiing Holidays in france


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
December 21st 2007
Published: December 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Short Break

As I write this, I’m gazing out of the kitchen window at bushes being thrashed by wind and rain, wondering what it’s like down on the Med.
I could be at our local airport within half an hour, boarding a plane and flying in over the palm trees at Nice airport by teatime.
Dream on! But maybe the idea of a short break in this lovely old city isn’t so far-fetched after all. There’s an abundance of self catering apartment
; it’s so easy to check availability of accommodation on the Internet these days.
Nice has long been the destination of travellers seeking to escape the English winter. The largest resort and capital of the Cote d’Azur, its attractions include the Old Quarter, a daily flower market, restaurants, museums, Roman remains, and Carnival (February/March time). My lasting impression is of the wonderful mix of aromas - cooking, fresh herbs, fish and flowers - in the narrow, winding streets of its old town.
Lodged between the red, rocky hills of the Estorel, which plunge into the sea to create the contorted Corniche coast, and the dramatic headland of the Massif des Maures with its beautiful sandy beaches, Nice provides a good base from which to explore the French Riviera. Inland, the charming hill-top villages and olive groves of Provence lie within easy reach. The Southern Alps Ski Resort
of Isola, with a reputation for good, late snow and family friendly service, is just a two-hour drive away.
With its pizzas, pastas and Italianate architecture, there’s a flavour of Italy in this corner of France, which is hardly surprising as Nice fell within its neighbour’s territory until the mid-19th century. If you’ve time left for venturing slightly further afield, the proximity of the Italian frontier and common currency of the Euro provide a good excuse for a day out over the border.
I’ve just convinced myself of the need for a break from the grey days stretching ahead. How about you?


Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0951s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb