Spoilt for choise in the French Alps


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
December 21st 2007
Published: December 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Spoilt for choice

Struggling to select a destination for your skiing holiday? The French Alps offers an almost limitless choice of resorts, from traditional to modern, and terrain to suit all levels of skier.
This region is home to some of the largest expanses of ski domain in the world, including the vast Paradiski area which boasts 425 km of pistes and serves a wide range of resorts - from traditional hamlets to the purpose-built giants of Les Arcs and La Plagne.
Both these resorts comprise, in fact, a cluster of centres at varying altitudes, each with its own character and accommodation of all types - from chalet to self-catering apartments and hotels. If you’re thinking of exploring Paradiski, it pays to research which centre best suits your needs in more detail.
If you’re seeking beauty and charm, it’s easy to get carried away by descriptions of resorts like Chamonix, in the Mont Blanc massif I was certainly attracted when I read of its fin-de-siecle architecture, long-established reputation and stunning scenery.
If I booked here, however, I’d be breaking the first rule of choosing a ski destination - checking the suitability of its skiing. With technical, steep slopes and plenty of off-piste terrain, it is recommended for intermediate and advanced skiers and perhaps wouldn’t suit someone at the lower end of intermediate, like myself.
I’m intrigued by descriptions of the car-free resort of Avoriaz, high near the Swiss border linking to the large Portes du Soleil ski area. Suited to skiers of all ability, it’s renowned for the design of its architecture and breathtaking location. Then, I’m tempted by the many smaller, traditional resorts - for example Samoens in the Grand Massif - ‘undiscovered gems’ where you can escape the crowds who flock to the big names, drawn as much by their après-ski allure as their reputation for good snow.
Resorts like ever-popular Tignes and neighbouring Val d’Isere, in the Espace Killy, have an enviable record for reliable snow. Then again, if you have a young family, you can’t beat the likes of Val Thorens, Les Menuires, Courcheval and Meribel and their smaller, lower-level neighbours La Tania and St Martin de Belleville in the Trois Vallees. These resorts combine the advantages of access to a wide-ranging ski area suited to all abilities with a family-friendly reputation and good range of accommodation.
The few names I’ve mentioned only scratch the surface of what’s on offer in The French Alps
you will have your own ideas about what you require, but I hope I’ve whetted your appetite and given you some pointers.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb