Weekend in Normandy


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Upper Normandy » Bernay
October 23rd 2010
Published: October 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Saturday October 23rd:
We left for Normandy on Saturday morning all 5 of us, that is Alison, Ludovic, the cat, the rabbit and me! Today is the start of school holidays in France and French children are off now for the week. The weather was lovely and sunny but still quite cold. The drive out to Normandy was fun. We took the A13 motorway heading west and then did the rest of the journey on the country roads until we arrived in the village in Normandy called Saint Pierre du Mesnil which is near to a town called Bernay.

The village is very small with no more than 100 inhabitants and the houses are also quite small with lots of wooden beams, some houses have straw on the roof (thatch). The village is so small though so I'm not sure you'll find it on your map but you can try and 'Google' it maybe! The village has a really old medieval chateau however which was built in the 13th century, it's amazing and every year they do a sound and light festival there with professional actors but also with people from the local area who participate in it too. It has been in the same family now for over 700 years!

On the journey down I saw lots of cows, horses and fields everywhere all ready to be sown with the winter crops. Normandy is really rural and a lot of people who live there are farmers. It can often be very cloudy here though and very misty in the morning. The mist is from the sea air from the coast which is 40 minutes away.

Anyhow I ate lots of really nice food and sat in front of the fire to warm up with Daisy the cat.

I've taken some pictures so you can see where I stayed and of me and Daisy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb