Half Day Lyon


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Lyon
May 9th 2007
Published: March 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Nice - Zurich

Our tirip: Nice, Antibes, Cannes, Lyon, Geneva, Zermatt, Bern, Zurich

Today we said “Farewell!” to Brendan who is off to Beaulieu-ser-Mer to join his new yacht, Moira, for the rest of the year.

Meanwhile Leah and I were on a train to Lyon, which took us right along the southern coast with some great scenery. We dumped our stuff at the hotel and headed for the tourist information centre asking what there is to see in Lyon - we only have today, and its 2pm already!

We walked over the ‘La Saōne’ bridge, admiring the lovely view down the river Rhône below and caught the cute cable car to Fourviere, high up on the hill. Upon exit, Leah and I were stunned at the beauty of the external architecture of the Basilica Notre-Dame de Fourviere, with its four large white turrets and its façade covered in white statues and carvings - its intricacy and combined effect looked very beautiful indeed against the bright blue sky.

We ventured inside the large doors, and one step inside we literally froze in amazement. From top to toe, the inside was covered in detailed mosaic pictures, statues, paintings and stained glass windows. We had to take a seat just to be still and try and take it all in.
It was too stunning for words to describe - easily one of the top few churches out of the hundreds of churches Leah and I have seen so far - and best of all; we were allowed to take photos!

We walked around the corner to the ‘Thêātres Gallo-Romans’ - some ancient Roman amphitheatre ruins that have been restored and are currently still in use! That’s pretty cool!

We caught the cable car back down to have a look at the Cathèdrale St. Jean on the edge of the river. There has been a church on this site since the 4th Century! The two original churches had been destroyed during the French Revolution and now just their ruins are left beside the current Cathedral.

We went back to our hotel and then went on a hunt for a restaurant, as it turned out our hotel was right in the middle of a restaurant area - how convenient!

After dinner, we had a wander along the Le Rhône River and had a look through Parc de la tète d’Or, which was quite sizable, similar to Hyde Park. However, it was getting harder to see things being quite dark - as it was 10pm already!

So there you have it, Leah and I set a new record for seeing a whole city in one afternoon - beat it! 😊


Check out more Photos




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Basilica on the HillBasilica on the Hill
Basilica on the Hill

Looking ove Le Rhone River
The AlterThe Alter
The Alter

Basilica Notre-Dame de Fourviere
Paintings, Mosaics, Stained Glass Windows...Paintings, Mosaics, Stained Glass Windows...
Paintings, Mosaics, Stained Glass Windows...

Basilica Notre-Dame de Fourviere
Above LyonAbove Lyon
Above Lyon

The view from the Church
Amphitheatre Ruins Amphitheatre Ruins
Amphitheatre Ruins

Leah & Hannah
Lyon by NightLyon by Night
Lyon by Night

Looking over Le Rhone River


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb