St. Tropez


Advertisement
Published: July 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Porch viewPorch viewPorch view

View of Mediterranean Sea from our porch
Saint Tropez at last!

What a change from Paris area. Not only weather wise - so much warmer, perfect sunny beach weather, but also the style of living and the work load. Style of living - still excellent, but beachy-tourist as opposed to small, country-side village and then jaunting into huge city of Paris. Sooo many people here, tourists and locals alike. Very similar to Hawaii in that manner. Weather is similar as well - moist minus the random rain storms (that happen so often in Hawaii). The fun part is that there is such a variety of people, from all over. Saint Tropez is one of the vacation capitols of France so makes sense. All languages are spoken here - from French and English to Dutch, German and Spanish, among others. Its not uncommon for a restaurant or cafe to have the menu written in more than one language. The worst part about all the people are the incredibly long lines that are everywhere - from stores and restaurants to traffic. Traffic is the worst. If you take the car out, you should expect to wait in a half an hour or more of traffic. There is basically one main street which is part of the problem with so many people. The best way to travel is by moped, scooter or motorcycle. Biking is pretty common too with many bike and walking paths along the coast.

Since I've been here, I've tried a few cafes and restaurants - with food selections ranging from salads and pastas, to pizza and baked eggplant. Almost always order dessert - fruit, ice cream or a tart - depending. The most fun is eating right on the sand with the gorgeous view of the sea and all the sunbathers with the kids playing in the waves.

Work is really hard - I've never ridden so much in my life! I go to bed sore and exhausted every night, but its totally worth it to be here! Geoff, the patron I am working for is really nice and the horses behave themselves most of the time. The grooms have finally accepted me and begun talking to me (in Spanish because most are from Argentina) instead of whistling - much more pleasant talking with them.

Made several friends here - Caroline, the girl whose parents we are renting the house from, Marie the
Mediterranean SeaMediterranean SeaMediterranean Sea

View from the road going down the hill from our house - amazing view when it is clear out in the morning.
other girl we are rooming with who also grooms for a player, Carlos - one of my best friends at the barn (we drove out with him in the van from Paris area), Maggie - one of the girls grooming for the St. Tropez Polo Team, Eryn - the nanny from Toronto, Canada, Katrin - a girl down at the barn who does hunter-jumpers . . . and many other friendly people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

The BeachThe Beach
The Beach

or I should say "the sea"
Eryn and MeEryn and Me
Eryn and Me

This was from the first day we met at the beach restaurant
The KidsThe Kids
The Kids

These are the two kids Eryn takes care of - the girl didn't want her picture taken
St. Tropez Polo ClubSt. Tropez Polo Club
St. Tropez Polo Club

This is from the Finals award presentation Sunday afternoon
St. Tropez Polo ClubSt. Tropez Polo Club
St. Tropez Polo Club

At the Finals cocktail party after the awards presentation


17th July 2008

Hey Girl
Hello Kerissa. Wow-wee. What a gorgeous place. I love the pictures taken from the front porch. You are so lucky to be in France, though I know it's no easy task working. Our stupid computers haven't been working so it has been difficult to get to your blog and emails but I finally managed. This week has been laid back and relaxing. Mom and I and maybe Meg are going down to visit Kim this weekend, so that should be fun. And we have made up our minds, we are switching to Seahorse! I'm so excited. The Fitzhugh's are switching too. So long Kristina! Anyways... I'll call you tomorrow. I'm gonna go ride Kelly's horse. Love you so much.
18th July 2008

Ste. Tropez
I guess it would be crowded there at the height of the tourist season. Kind of fun when you aren't stuck in traffic, huh? At least the food and friends are good. It looks beautiful and so do you. Your friends are all very attractive - the poor grooms - all you beautiful young women around and all you have energy for are the horses and food! Pic-nicking on the beach at St. Tropez - is that a dream? Sonice to talk to you last night altho' you seemed pretty sleepy! Take care of yourself and enjoy this wonderful adventure - and try to extend it as long as possible! I love you, Grandma

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb