Monday Biking


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Sign PostsSign PostsSign Posts

Belgium has this great bike route system - we never get TOO lost!
Monday, May 4, 2009
Today was our first full day of being settled into the house - so once we got moving, we headed to the south end of the town of Brugge to the Information center. We were so excited to see our favorite set of biking maps - 7 maps of the West Flanders area that give routes of the woodland and wetland cycling network - these are what keep us from ever getting too lost! So with maps in my pannier we set off south of town to Steenbrugge. We got to follow the canal on to Moerbrugge and on to Beernem. Biking along the canals is tranquil and peaceful and I marvel at the giant trees all lined up along the path/road. Fishing in the canals seems to be a popular activity - although it looks to me to be a good excuse to sit along the bank with your buddy and chatter the night away!
We crossed the canal and headed north to Bloemendale and then on to Oedelem. Outside of Oedelem is a wonderful section of path (no cars) that leads into Ver Assebroek. We found what looked to us to be a wonderful old castle (Europacentrum) and it turned out to be where the University offers classes.
Then back to our house in Brugge - we felt like we had finally riden our bikes for most of the day - without fearing that we had over done it and that neither of us would be able to move the next day.
The weather was cool and breezy - but the riding was fantastic! We ended up going 40km's - a good distance for us to start!
Hope you enjoy the pictures -
Biking Sisters - Kathleen and Jean



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Wagon Ho?Wagon Ho?
Wagon Ho?

We were interrupted by 12 wagons pulled by horses! If we could read Flemish we might have understood why they were doing this!
EuropacentrumEuropacentrum
Europacentrum

What a wonderful place to learn!
Cobble stonesCobble stones
Cobble stones

These are NOT fun to ride a bike on!


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb